700r4 and 1980 Cutlass column shifter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hotboyrn84

Apprentice
May 1, 2012
My mechanic is telling me that the column shift linkage on my 1980 Cutlass Supreme is not compatible with the automatic 700r4 I have installed into the car. His advice is to buy a B&M floor shifter and install it. I have bench seats, which I love, that will eventuallyneed to be replaced with buckets if thats the case as well and I just wanted to get som input from a bunch of car guys before I agreed and bought more parts and paid for more work. Anybody have any comments or suggestions?

Thanks yall in advance

I think your mechanic is full of it, as I don't see where there could be an incompatibility issue unless the shifting bracket on that trans is in a different location as a 2004r and won't accept the stock shifting linkage arm that should connect to it. You would be able to get a G-body/2004r linkage arm ( if they're even different from your current non-OD linkage arm ) almost anywhere.

well I specifically had asked a mechanic to install the b&m floor shifter when I had trans reinstalled on the mc and he said that it would be a waste of my own money because 'you cant take that car to the strip right now' was his opinion so I was surprised with that level of honesty and went w/ the column shifter and everything was just fine for me. On the other hand, it is a far superior alternative to the column shifter if you're having trouble getting the car to engage in D / R and were going to switch to bucket seats anyway I'd say its a must then. It really comes down to the price

I guess what I'm trying to say in other words shorter is more like this: he may be trying to rip you off, but a guy looks like a dweeb using a column shifter while sitting in a bucket seat. Definitely take his style tip but if someone can do the job for cheaper do it w/ somebody else!

I'll bet he's talking about the gating in the column itself. Overdrives weren't offered in 1980 and it may not allow you to pull it through all gears, but you could get one out of a newer Cutlass with a 200-4R and it should work. Maybe the column gating has nothing to do with it IDK.

Reactions: Hotboyrn84
I tend to agree with what crotchss is saying. I have a 79 El Camino with a 700r4 hooked to the original column shift and I cannot shift down to 2nd or 1st with it. Might just be the way the PO installed it, but I do intend to fix it with a console shift, buckets, and column from an 84 elky donor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor