700r4 linkage problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

RO86SS

Greasemonkey
Jun 10, 2009
tampa,fl
I have a 86 monte carlo ss and i recently swapped my 2004r with a 700r4.My car is a floor shift originaly so after the swap i am having issues with my car going into gear when i shift from the floor.It will not go into gear.Has anbody else had this problem a little help please

87SS383

Apprentice
Jan 15, 2010
When you're trying to shift from Park to Reverse/Drive do you have to pull real hard? And it feels like its stuck and it wont move? If so check the shift linkage to make sure it didnt melt. If you have it looped over the transmission, and the transmission isn't grounded correctly your linkage can burn up. It happened to me this summer. I went through 2 linkage cables before i figured out the problem. Try a ground to the frame, and replace the cable. In the meantime use the column shifter. It doesnt have any sh*t lever, but you can still turn it and switch gears.

RO86SS

Greasemonkey
Jun 10, 2009
tampa,fl
ok i gotta try that,So just run a ground from the transmission to frame.I checked it out i dont think the cable was melted.it goes into reverse,But it feels like there is alot of slack...thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor