700R4 lock-up converter

Status
Not open for further replies.

D's350GP

Apprentice
Aug 14, 2006
I need a little clarifacation, i was just looking on ebay for torque converters and i see some are "lock-up" and some are not. I'd like to get i higher than stock stall converter, but if possible id like to be able to lock it up in 4th. Can i buy one that isnt designated a "lock-up" converter and modify it to do what i want?

383Camino

Master Mechanic
Mar 1, 2006
South Dakota
No, I don't think so. Well, you might be able to take it somewhere and have it worked on. I think lock ups are only for the O.D. trannies. I have heard that you can run a lock up with alot of power cause it'll tear up the converter. I have also heard that there are lock ups out there that can handle power.

D's350GP

Apprentice
Aug 14, 2006
I see your trans doesn't have OD, how is your freeway mileage? i had an 82 camaro with a TH350 and it was sh*t on the freeway!

383Camino

Master Mechanic
Mar 1, 2006
South Dakota
Ha. Lets not talk about my mileage!! I think its around 10. But thats a 383 with 3.42s. I'd love to get a built up 200-4R for it, but the TH350 is in and works well and is paid for.

Chevyman85

G-Body Guru
Oct 25, 2006
Bonney Lake, WA
383Camino said:
. I'd love to get a built up 200-4R for it, but the TH350 is in and works well and is paid for.
What is the advantage of going to a 200-4R, besides the 4th gear? Isn't it a weaker transmission? My car stock had a Metric 200, and that this was garbage. I'm just curious, thanks
Oh, by the way Lock up Tranmissions are for both 3 & 4 spd. I had a 200C Trans w/ Lock up. And they offered 3spd. TH-350's w/ Lockup converters. Your right about them being garbage, at least for race and performance cars.

hobbes442

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 1, 2007
mount vernon,in
700r4

i have 383 with 700r4 transmission and 4.10 gears in a 12 bolt . lockup will help about 200 rpms but get a b&m lockup that runs $150 and it will run off speed from 30-90mph . i love it and i think it will help me from tearing up converters

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor