78 cutlass bumper reinforcement bar

Dbakk1104

n00b
Dec 13, 2023
Looking to learn a little bit about compatibility. I have a 1978 cutlass Calais with a rotted out reinforcement bar. To my understanding a 78-83 Malibu, 78-80 cutlass and a few others are compatible. I found one off of a 78-83 Malibu so I would just need to swap the chrome over. Am I right? Am I wrong? Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Reactions: 1 user

Sweet_Johnny

Has A Face For Radio
Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2022
Wichita, Kansas
This is something I know nothing about but am interested in learning. Are you implying that the A-Body bumper support bars are all interchangeable? I assumed those would be model specific, but that was an assumption.

Dbakk1104

n00b
Dec 13, 2023
This is something I know nothing about but am interested in learning. Are you implying that the A-Body bumper support bars are all interchangeable? I assumed those would be model specific, but that was an assumption.
I was told that the reinforcement bars were the same for the 78-83 malibus and the 78-80 cutlass’ by a gentleman in a gbody group on Facebook. I have also found replacement ones that say any Malibu, regal, cutlass, Grand Prix, el Camino etc. of similar years would work but I am skeptical about whether or not this is true. I would like to believe it is so I can get this project finished lol but I’m looking for confirmation before I spend the money. I have pictures of the bumpers off of the Malibu and it looks very similar.

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
The Malibu bumper reinforcements are different and not compatible with the 78-80 Cutlass bumpers. I can confirm this because I have a couple of each in storage in my shed. (Don’t ask why)

I’m afraid you’re looking at like for like as far as those go. You’re going to have to find 78-79 Cutlass bumper reinforcements specifically. This does not include 1980 for the front bumper because while it may be the same body style, it had the signal lights relocated into the front bumper.

Good luck.

Reactions: 3 users

Dbakk1104

n00b
Dec 13, 2023
The Malibu bumper reinforcements are different and not compatible with the 78-80 Cutlass bumpers. I can confirm this because I have a couple of each in storage in my shed. (Don’t ask why)

I’m afraid you’re looking at like for like as far as those go. You’re going to have to find 78-79 Cutlass bumper reinforcements specifically. This does not include 1980 for the front bumper because while it may be the same body style, it had the signal lights relocated into the front bumper.

Good luck.
Thank you for the information. I’m only looking for the rear bumper but knowing the extra knowledge doesn’t hurt. Out of curiosity what is different about them?

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Strictly talking about front reinforcement bars...not the primary chrome bar that are visible itself...

22502372 for steel, 22502370 for aluminum. Buick and Olds share the same reinforcements on 78-80 A-body 2 and 4 door, and 81-87 4-door A and G-body only. 81-88 2-door share the same front bumper reinforcements but are different than earlier 2 door models.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users

RegalX78

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 17, 2020
See my thead below.

P/N: GN110120 from Classic Industries should work for you.

Reactions: 2 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Apparently bumpers for 78-88s 4-doors, Buick and Olds share, but nobody else. I don't know the differences with other cars, but they are different part numbers both front and rear. The reproductions are way cheaper than the originals. So let that be your guide as far as safety equipment.

I only include the part number in the event they're found new somewhere or in case they stamp the numbers on them. I don't recall if they do or not. I don't recall seeing it but who knows. Plus, if you run across a junker somewhere, you know what should and shouldn't fit your car.

22502043 is the steel rear reinforcement bar.

22502042 is the aluminum rear reinforcement bar.

Fits 78-80 rear. And up through 87 4-door only. A/G-body Olds and Buick except wagon.

Again, 81-88 2 door is different than earlier models.

Just a note on the 81-88 2 door reinforcements both front and rear. Olds has their own. They no longer share bumper reinforcement part numbers with any other car.

Last edited:
  • Agree
  • Useful
Reactions: 1 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor