78 cutlass W-31 build

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
The heads were on but I never rotated it until it was all assembled I wondering if I used the wrong marks on the lower gear?
Very possible with that type of gear. No easy way to find out either....gotta take everything off and pull the cover to verify! Yes, i know it sucks, but we all make mistakes.

When i was putting the LS together i installed the chain dampener before putting the cam gear/chain on! I had to take the bracket back off, and pry the dampener off without screwing it up since it's a press fit :blam:!!!!

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
Very possible with that type of gear. No easy way to find out either....gotta take everything off and pull the cover to verify! Yes, i know it sucks, but we all make mistakes.

When i was putting the LS together i installed the chain dampener before putting the cam gear/chain on! I had to take the bracket back off, and pry the dampener off without screwing it up since it's a press fit :blam:!!!!
Yea I'm not looking forward to it but I just ordered more gaskets, a new water pump cap rotor and wires from rockauto Still have to T in vacuum for the trans also so much for hearing it run today

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
The Rollmaster timing set is top quality with a German roller chain, the best out there and accurate. If you aligned the dots at 6 and 12, it should be good. Even if you andvanced or retarded the gear, it should still run. Did you run the wires counter clockwise? Did you prime the carb and crank the distributor both ways. May sure the distributor isn't 180 degrees out, you might be looking a the wrong TDC mark, make sure #1 is at TDC with mark lined up.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
The Rollmaster timing set is top quality with a German roller chain, the best out there and accurate. If you aligned the dots at 6 and 12, it should be good. Even if you andvanced or retarded the gear, it should still run. Did you run the wires counter clockwise? Did you prime the carb and crank the distributor both ways. May sure the distributor isn't 180 degrees out, you might be looking a the wrong TDC mark, make sure #1 is at TDC with mark lined up.
Yes I've asked myself the same thing several times checked TDC and rotor 4 times? Never in my life have I had this problem yes rotation opposite Chevy 1 in the back just like the 260 was that's what I thaught even if I advanced the cam it should still run it's almost like it doesn't always have spark maybe a ???? Module or coil ??? Never had one internet tho

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
My 260 isn't running, I tried a new module and I am a sure it is a pick up coil. I have had a few die out of the blue. Do a resistance test between the two leads, 500 to 1500 ohms resistance and go between each pick up connection and ground, should be infinite.

• Informative

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
I got the water pump, cap, and rotor from rockauto today still waiting for the wires gaskets and the chain and gears set hopefully they come before Saturday

Reactions: 1 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Any reason you are swapping the chain? Test the pick up coil if you are unsure of spark.

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
Well the rest of the parts came so I can start thrashing on it tomorrow morning if I can get myself out of bed lol I'M beat!

• Winner
Reactions: 4 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor