78 cutlass W-31 build

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Yeah, I have never been of fan of Holley's for any sort of drivability but it was probably the same scenario as your Qjet. A shitty tune for build, no choke and needing an overhaul were the examples I saw. I hope it instantly throws you back in your seat and runs as it should. You need a win here.

Reactions: 1 users

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
Yeah, I have never been of fan of Holley's for any sort of drivability but it was probably the same scenario as your Qjet. A shitty tune for build, no choke and needing an overhaul were the examples I saw. I hope it instantly throws you back in your seat and runs as it should. You need a win here.
I'd be happy if it doesn't backfire lol

• Agree

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
Well guys I'm pretty sure I just wasted another 2 days of my life. This Holley runs rougher than the q-jet did and leaks fuel like a siv I'm out of time and patience again
16859088327035741167924266234685.jpg

• Sad
Reactions: 3 users

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
Holley leaked way to much and when it popped threw the carb it blew out a new power valve tried a stock HEI same sh*t compression check all good 145 down from the 150 but that's to be expected the cam is advanced 4° still a clean bill of health put the q-jet back on same sh*t. Now what? No I don't have any known good carb before you ask. Everyone seems to ask me that. Here's what I'm thinking.. could I have a sticky valve? Or a week valve springs? Guys I'm grasping at straws and literally don't have a car to drive the Duramax is down with fuel pressure problems that I also can't figure out. If I had any money right now I would go buy a car but I don't so here I am this cutlass that has never really run in 8 years is all I got to work with

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
Ok all I can come up with is I had the same problem with both motors and the only thing unchanged is the heads. Tomorrow I'm going to go grab the heads that came with the block and crank. There supposedly rebuild and never used so hopefully there good and fix the problem. I don't know what else to do.

Reactions: 1 user

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
It's literally discussing to put something together and take it apart this many times and it took all I had to force myself to take it apart again but I did. I went to the building this morning and dug up the #7 heads that came from the machine shop. The only thing nice about taking the same car apart over and over is mo bolt trouble lol it comes apart like a late model car lol sorry guys itps hard to find a bright side.
38665.jpeg

As soon as I got the heads out of the bags I cleaned inspected and painted them to match. I did notice they have new valve springs and seals. The springs on them look thicker than the ones on the #6 heads
38665.jpeg

When I put this car together last time it wasn't supposed to come back apart and so I even bent over the exhaust bolt keepers lol. I ended up removing the passenger head with the manifold on it because I couldn't get it off
38679.jpeg
38678.jpeg

So for an old guy with a bad back I think I got pretty far for 1 day. I got both heads on and torqued the rockers and pushrods are back in screw in studs guide plates all cleaned and installed agine...
38677.jpeg
38675.jpeg

So tonight after I cooked dinner or the family and ate I set the intake on in place and the valve covers. Because it feels like a storm is coming I put a brand new tarp over the motor under the hood. I won't have an intake manifold gasket until Wednesday so tomorrow and Tuesday I'll poke at it adjust the valves put the exhaust manifolds back on and as much other stuff as I can.
So by process of elimination I've replaced everything under the hood at least one time I really hope it runs.

• Optimistic

Wraith

Royal Smart Person
Jan 13, 2013
DFW, TX
I have two unknown Quadrajet carbs, both came off running cars, and I'll look for whatever else I have stashed. Willing to send your way if one would work if it will help the cause, just send back the unused.

• Winner
Reactions: 4 users

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
I have two unknown Quadrajet carbs, both came off running cars, and I'll look for whatever else I have stashed. Willing to send your way if one would work if it will help the cause, just send back the unused.
If this doesn't fix it I may buy a new one from summit IDK. I do know that was quite a bit of work for one Sunday and I'm sore this morning.

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
Well it's a good thing I set the intake and valve covers on and tarped the engine. As soon as I got home it started pouring! I'll get some rest tonight and try to do double tomorrow I guess. Definitely not going out to find 0 lash in the rain.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor