78 GP Brake Lines

Status
Not open for further replies.

naminator

Apprentice
Jul 21, 2020
In typical fashion for me, my ADHD kicked in and I went down a rabbit hole of brake line replacement option research. Locally, I am looking at about $60-$70 for cheap flare/bend tools and an eye watering $5 per foot of Nic-cop brake tubing. So I turned to Amazon/Ebay to see if I could do one better either price wise or quality wise. The tools didn't really change in price, however the lines where an incredibly reasonable at 1/5th the price on Amazon, until I saw reviews stating they are lying that the line is niccop and is actually soft steel coated with copper/nickel/galvanization that flaked off an caused rust issues very quickly. However I found "certified" nickel copper lines for about double the price, for a total of $60 for a 25 foot roll, for a total of around $140 for the 25 feet and tools etc.

I was planning on replacing some fuel lines and potentially more brake lines than the most immediate one, but that is down the road. So I continue my search for quality niccop tubing, since I would rather not completely cheap out on vital safety bits, and found I could get the entire brake line replacement set, in steel, on Ebay for around $230 for the set. Not a bad deal, but I don't know if I wanted to fully rip out the lines and replace them, so I hesitated on that. Then I found a kit called "TrueBend Lines" which is apparently a a copper/steel line with an outer corrosion coating, solid brass fittings and it is only around $120. It also comes with significantly more tubing than I need, double flair ends, hand bendable and installed in new vehicles. Unfortunately I can't find a ton of info on it, so again, the hesitation.

Has anybody used this stuff? https://www.ebay.ca/itm/35255733548...d=link&campid=5335822911&toolid=20001&mkevt=1 is a link to it, but I want to be clear I haven't bought it or know much about it. Instead of spending multiple more hours researching only to find yet another option, I was hoping someone could comment on this. It appears the lines come as just long, straight options, with sizes that are correct for OEM lines on a G-Body, which would explain a higher quality product for a lower price since it could just be a bunch of properly sized lines that you bend yourself, which would simplify shipping, logistics and manufacturing processes.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
I went all pre-bent stainless to including braided hoses but figured next time I have to a complete line change it'll be copper-nickle with brass or stainless fittings. This is one of those jobs that cost is kinda a second thought as good quality lines & hardware is a must. Even the tools, which may not get much use after the project should also be of good quality to bend/shape & flair. I'd bite the bullet & get the real copper nickle and cause cheaping out could lead to a bad failure & cost more than the good parts would of.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

naminator

Apprentice
Jul 21, 2020
I went all pre-bent stainless to including braided hoses but figured next time I have to a complete line change it'll be copper-nickle with brass or stainless fittings. This is one of those jobs that cost is kinda a second thought as good quality lines & hardware is a must. Even the tools, which may not get much use after the project should also be of good quality to bend/shape & flair. I'd bite the bullet & get the real copper nickle and cause cheaping out could lead to a bad failure & cost more than the good parts would of.

Yeah cost is less my concern. My concern is my ability. I am worried that doing the flair/bending work won't be something I can accomplish, which is why I was looking at pre-bent, but with that, I am concerned I don't get the right size/shape of lines or lower quality, so I looked for high quality, pre-flaired lines for the job.

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
Right Stuff & Inline Tube have steel or stainless pre-bent lines. You will have to tweak them a little, but it's far less work than trying to bend new ones to your ADHD satisfaction. Especially if you're questioning your line bending/flaring abilities.

• Agree

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I did all of the brake lines on my Regal with some Ebay Ni-cop coils of tubing and bought the fittings at my local autoparts store,
Just buy from a reputable vendor.
The tubing was easy to work with and flares easily and since I replaced all of them with the body still on the frame, these being bendable worked out well over something rigid like stainless.
For lines with multiple bends I zipped tied each bend to the factory line as I followed the contours and for the MC lines I used a piece of pipe to match the ID of the factory ones and just coiled it around to match.

IMG_1762.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor