78 Grand Prix project

Status
Not open for further replies.

G-Body_Vet

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 15, 2010
I'm fairly new to the board, but not new to g-bodies at all. I was searching for a 78-80 Grand Prix and got lucky when I came across this car. This is an honest, no bullshit, California car with maintenance records going back to 1980! As is, it needs paint, driver's fender, exhaust, and rear bumper fillers. The door seams, undercarriage, and frame are in outstanding shape too. According to the previous owner, the car had a blowout and the fender paid for it. Not quite sure if it was that or an accident by the looks of it. Either way, the car has brand new BFG's on it too.

It came with a factory 305 and metric 200 trans. I'll either keep it simple and swap it for a 400 sbc or if funds permit, find a poncho 400. I'd also like to go with a 200-4R and better gears. In the end I want this car to be a nice cruiser with muscle, therefore highway-friendly rpm's are important.

I'm going to go with Boss 338 wheels (size undecided) in gray. I may even keep the rallye wheels for nostalgia's sake. The car is getting lowered 2 inches, and I'm keeping the stock paint scheme.

Here it is. I've already found another fender, now I need to get the ball rolling. That's my other garage queen at the bottom. It's a '94 and just turned 70K.

GrandPrixFL.jpg

grandprixrh.jpg

1978GrandPrix007.jpg

GrandPrixdash.jpg

1978GrandPrix006.jpg

downsize-1.jpg

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
I never realized it, but those early GP seats are cool! I think those GP's have the best interors of all G bodies. It looks like an overall clean car.

G-Body_Vet

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 15, 2010
81cutlass said:
I never realized it, but those early GP seats are cool! I think those GP's have the best interors of all G bodies. It looks like an overall clean car.

Other than the fender and the rear fillers, it's a solid ride.
Today's cars just don't have the same level of detail that these did. I never noticed that there was a pontiac emblem in the front turn signal lenses.
1978GrandPrix013.jpg

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I never liked the BIG Grand Prix's but the downsized ones are really cool. Looks like you found a keeper.

G-Body_Vet

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 15, 2010
Came across a nice ebay score! Ground force 2" drop spindles, 1.5" drop Belltech rear springs & isolators, Belltech rear drop shocks and Gabriel VST front shocks. All new, $290 shipped!

I hadn't planned on buying suspension yet but I just couldn't pass up this deal. Another crap cell pic.
downsize-7.jpg

G-Body_Vet

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 15, 2010
Looks like the project is going to be underway this week. This week will feel like mailorder Christmas!

I ordered:
-UMI upper & lower control arms and rear sway bar
-A frame extension for my crossmember from G-force
-KBS Rustseal coating
-Thrush 2 1/4" full welded mufflers
-Jegster Th400 crossmember

I'll try to get pics of the progress up once I get started.
Next up will be the 3.73 rearend I located and a 200-4R

G-Body_Vet

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 15, 2010
I got a solid lead on a '70 400/4bbl from a Grand Prix. The 455's are getting hard to come by and I'm finding lots of dismantled blocks in piss poor shape. I hope this one is in good shape.

67rstbkt

G-Body Guru
Sep 30, 2010
Reno, Nevada
G-Body_Vet said:
I got a solid lead on a '70 400/4bbl from a Grand Prix. The 455's are getting hard to come by and I'm finding lots of dismantled blocks in piss poor shape. I hope this one is in good shape.

You could always go with a stroker kit, that's the direction I'm going on my 400 for my firebird.

G-Body_Vet

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 15, 2010
67rstbkt said:
G-Body_Vet said:

You could always go with a stroker kit, that's the direction I'm going on my 400 for my firebird.

I may consider that later down the road. I'm still trying to locate the basics to get a Poncho engine to bolt into the car.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor