78 malibu factory 4 speed w/bench seat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mystre71

Apprentice
Apr 7, 2018
This past Monday a few friends and I took a trip up to Philipsburg Pa. To take a tour of UMI performance manufacturing plant. http://www.umiperformance.com/catalog/ and to pick up some goodies for the build (pix will follow). I had been corresponding with Ramey for a few weeks about suspension parts. He invited me up for a tour and had sent me a few videos of their Gbody Monte Carlo with one of their handling kits installed. You can check the clips out on youtube it's a green Monte, whipping through the cones at a high rate of speed and handling like a champ. While there we got to see every step of their manufacturing process from start to finish. From the set up of the jigs to the powder coating, it was amazing to see. Then he took us to the back to see some of their cars. I was disappointed the Monte wasn't there. He told us they had purchased an old race track and they had it at the track working on some new stuff. Then ask if we had time to go to the track. Um yes please! Just us three and two of their guys at the track. I'll see if I can figure out how to post some clips of the Monte. I have to say it was very reassuring to actually be able to see the parts I was purchasing being made and all the time, effort and care that went into them. I just wanted to share this with you guys, if you're looking for suspension parts, I honestly don't think you could go wrong with these guys. All the parts made right here in the USA. Maybe I should said I have no connection to UMI in any way shape or form, other than I bought their product and having seen it first hand. I believe it what they have to offer. Here's a few photos. I won't get my frame back from the powder coater's until next week. Or they would already be installed. :)

Attachments

• UMI parts 2 (640x480).jpg
    UMI parts 2 (640x480).jpg
    283.7 KB · Views: 271
  • Winner
Reactions: 4 users

CaliWagon83

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2017
Orange County, CA
Love UMI’s stuff. Want to put some of their parts on my wagon. Glad they offer the black color option for those of us that want something a little more low-key.

Reactions: 2 users

mystre71

Apprentice
Apr 7, 2018
The guys and gals at UMI are some of the friendliest people to deal with. You can't go wrong with their products. I was going to go with black but this will probably be my last build. So the plan is to build a pro-touring/show car. I think if you wanted (which I didn't know before hand) but I do believe IF you wanted a custom powder coat those guy at UMI will do that too, But I'm sure it will cost a little extra.

Reactions: 1 user

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
This past Monday a few friends and I took a trip up to Philipsburg Pa. To take a tour of UMI performance manufacturing plant. http://www.umiperformance.com/catalog/ and to pick up some goodies for the build (pix will follow). I had been corresponding with Ramey for a few weeks about suspension parts. He invited me up for a tour and had sent me a few videos of their Gbody Monte Carlo with one of their handling kits installed. You can check the clips out on youtube it's a green Monte, whipping through the cones at a high rate of speed and handling like a champ. While there we got to see every step of their manufacturing process from start to finish. From the set up of the jigs to the powder coating, it was amazing to see. Then he took us to the back to see some of their cars. I was disappointed the Monte wasn't there. He told us they had purchased an old race track and they had it at the track working on some new stuff. Then ask if we had time to go to the track. Um yes please! Just us three and two of their guys at the track. I'll see if I can figure out how to post some clips of the Monte. I have to say it was very reassuring to actually be able to see the parts I was purchasing being made and all the time, effort and care that went into them. I just wanted to share this with you guys, if you're looking for suspension parts, I honestly don't think you could go wrong with these guys. All the parts made right here in the USA. Maybe I should said I have no connection to UMI in any way shape or form, other than I bought their product and having seen it first hand. I believe it what they have to offer. Here's a few photos. I won't get my frame back from the powder coater's until next week. Or they would already be installed. :)
Might be a little rude to ask another man what he paid for parts, but can ya give us simple folk a ballpark figure of what that all cost? I've pretty much braced the hell outta my car with all the factory stuff I could get my hands on (save for rear seat and extra body bushings), and when my ~500hp SBB goes in either this year or next I wanna see how much my wallet will hate me. :p
Looks good! I'd love a 78-80 bench and stick malibu. Or an elco.

mystre71

Apprentice
Apr 7, 2018
Sorry for the delay in replying. We've gotten A LOT of rain here in Wv, been dealing with some water in the basement. Among other costly issues. I have saved up to do this build for years and just when I thought everything was in order, I buy these parts, send my frame out to powder coat and everything falls apart with the house. Thought I had all of the other stuff fixed, came home today and had to shell out more $$$ for a new sub pump. Seems the old one doesn't care for running round the clock to keep up with the rain...lol.....story of my life. Anyhow now that I gave out more info than anyone needed on to your question.

heads up! Your wallet won't be speaking to you for awhile, but he will get over it :) Here's a link to the page for the stage 4 kithttp://umiperformance.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=8_265_425&products_id=1117 the price is on the page. I will say this cash is king ;)........I tell ya thought, the trip up there was some good friends and getting to meet the people behind UMI and going to the race track was worth way more than the cost of the part. If you can go visit them. they love to give tours.

I purchased. Now in the photos I posted there was a few things I'm still waiting on like the coil overs and viking shocks which came with the kit. UMI had these dropped to my home. I also got a front triangle brace. It's also on UMI's site.

The brake set up is made by The Right Stuff.https://www.getdiscbrakes.com/parts/1978-Chevrolet-Malibu/ Their prices are also listed. I would post the prices I paid, but prices are subject to change. As of right now the prices listed in the links are my prices. Hope this helps? If anyone needs part #s I'll do my best to provide those as well.

mystre71

Apprentice
Apr 7, 2018
Thanks! I got an email that said you posted here earlier but when I came here, and didn't see it...lol

mystre71

Apprentice
Apr 7, 2018
Frame back from powder coating. Hold to start installing some parts this weekend.

Attachments

• DSCN2378 (640x480).jpg
    DSCN2378 (640x480).jpg
    241.3 KB · Views: 260
  • DSCN2379 (640x480).jpg
    DSCN2379 (640x480).jpg
    260.4 KB · Views: 261
  • DSCN2380 (640x480).jpg
    DSCN2380 (640x480).jpg
    238.5 KB · Views: 281
  • DSCN2381 (640x480).jpg
    DSCN2381 (640x480).jpg
    223.8 KB · Views: 256
Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor