78 pro-touring malibu in central Texas

Status
Not open for further replies.

itsnotanova

Master Mechanic
Aug 27, 2008
Bastrop,Tx
Hello everybody, I've owned three gbodies and this malibu is my best so far. I've owned a 80 malibu wagon that I had to sell when I moved to Texas from PA. I then bought the el camino with hopes of restifcation. I had the body off the frame and had both sandblasted and then painted them myself. I had all intentions of making the elc road worthy until the malibu came along. And you know what they say about cars and women. They're more exciting when they're new to you. So the elc got thrown to the side and stripped of its performance parts for the Malibu(mostly drivetrian parts). Since I had the malibu, I've put fiberglass rollpan/bumpers bolted dirrectly to the body and all the suspension/brakes/axle on myself. I'm on a mission to lower my weight as much as possible. This summer in Texas we've had 50 days with temps a 100 or higher and I took out a working A/C because it weighs to much. I'm looking to make my bu go fast in every direction so I'm sure you'll see me in other areas asking questions or giving you my two cents......Woody!

jdeezdavis

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 28, 2008
Welcome. Sounds like a good project

itsnotanova

Master Mechanic
Aug 27, 2008
Bastrop,Tx
thanks! I checked out your album and while I'm jealous about your motor. Whats your car look like? What dirrection are you going with it?

jdeezdavis

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 28, 2008
The car sat for four years i need to wash it before i take any pics of the exterior. The interior is pretty much gutted. As for direction i kinda just go day ny day and get new ideas

itsnotanova

Master Mechanic
Aug 27, 2008
Bastrop,Tx
I got more plans than $$$. I plan on taking out the back seat and mounting the battery there, 6or8 rollcage, fuel cell, lighter front seats. cowl hood, 82-87 front light header, replacing beat-up dash, rear disc brakes and replacing the ZZ4 with a ZZ383. When I get the 383 that will more than likely open a whole other can of worms because there never seems to be enough power. jdeezdavis what type of suspension do you have? Is it set up for 1/4 mile , pro-touring or stock? I'm asking because I'm looking for someone with lowering the rear for handling purposes knowledge. I asked on suspension forum but no ones answering.

itsnotanova

Master Mechanic
Aug 27, 2008
Bastrop,Tx
Thanks for the link, but I did better than that ,unless I get in a wreck. I have fiberglass flush mounted bumpers/rollpans with no bumper supports or anything but two thin metal strips that stablize the bumpers from collapsing or being pulled off while going down the road. Can't get much lighter than what I have. Good for going fast but bad when things go wrong.

itsnotanova

Master Mechanic
Aug 27, 2008
Bastrop,Tx
I've never got anything from Dixie ,but when time comes I will. They're the only company I know of that has interior parts for malibu's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor