May 5, 2010
im wondering what combo to put on....im lookin and rally wheels

dedub

Greasemonkey
Aug 18, 2008
N.C. Fort Bragg
That's a pretty ambiguous question.
What are you looking for?
Performance? Street? Strip? Street/strip?
Skinnies on front? 15", 16", 17", ect
8' wide, 10" wide?
Do you want the tires and rims tucked in the wheel wells, do you want a more retro or old school look?

Reactions: 1 user

houndin101

Master Mechanic
May 5, 2010
dedub said:
That's a pretty ambiguous question.
What are you looking for?
Performance? Street? Strip? Street/strip?
Skinnies on front? 15", 16", 17", ect
8' wide, 10" wide?
Do you want the tires and rims tucked in the wheel wells, do you want a more retro or old school look?

street,no skinnies, and im not sure 15 or 16 im leaning towards 16 and im lookin at 8" out back and 7" up front...i want that muscle look with a tough look

dedub

Greasemonkey
Aug 18, 2008
N.C. Fort Bragg
If you want the muscle look I would definitely put 10" on the backs. Either set though you HAVE to be careful with the backspace or offset of the rims. I won't get into a huge lesson on offset, you'll have to do your research, but backspace is simply the distance between the inside of the rim where your brake drum sits against to the inner part of the rim lip. You do not want anything over a 4.25" backspace!!!!! I ran 8" rims with a 4.25" backspace with 275-60-15's and was REAL close to the frame rail. I switched to a 3.75" backspace and now I have a lot more room to breath.
You can run a tire as high as 31" or so on the back if you want with no problems at all. The size of the rim will determine what tires you need. You see a certain size tire like 255-50-15 will be a totally different look and size as a 255-50-16. So I'm going to through some math at you...
a 255-50-15 is 10" wide and 5" tall, so 5" on each side of the tire plus the 15" rim = 25" total. Not a tall tire at all.
a 255-50-16 will be 26" tall.
a 275 60-15 is 10.8" wide and 6.5" tall, so 6.5" on each side plus the 15" rim = 28" tall for the whole set up.

If your looking for the Muscle look then Centerlines, Cragars, Keystones, or something old school is where you need to look.
7" up front would be just fine, but if you put 8" on the back you won't even be able to tell the difference. Go with the 10" and a shallow backspace.

houndin101

Master Mechanic
May 5, 2010
im lookin at a set of ss elky rims i hadnt seen them til 2day and they look nice...and i was also thinking about rodlites or maro rally rims

Reactions: 1 user
May 17, 2010
dedub said:
If you want the muscle look I would definitely put 10" on the backs ....... You can run a tire as high as 31" or so on the back if you want with no problems at all.
a 255-50-15 is 10" wide and 5" tall, so 5" on each side of the tire plus the 15" rim = 25" total. Not a tall tire at all.
a 255-50-16 will be 26" tall.
a 275 60-15 is 10.8" wide and 6.5" tall, so 6.5" on each side plus the 15" rim = 28" tall for the whole set up.

If your looking for the Muscle look then Centerlines ........ but if you put 8" on the back you won't even be able to tell the difference. Go with the 10" and a shallow backspace.

Thanks DeDub...... Great post..... lots of good info.

I have a G-Body EL Camino that will be a street/strip car but I want to have an "ALL-OUT drag car LOOK". I have been kicking around what tire/wheel combo to use. Definately want to use "polished" Centerline wheels with "skinnys" on the front but have not been so sure about what to do in the back. I have a "gut feeling" that 8 inchers would not give me the look I want. But have been alittle concerned that 10 inchers would give me clearance problems. Glad to hear that 10" wheels with the correct back spacing will allow me to use at least a 10.8" wide tire.

Have you ever tried or do you know/think that a 295/12.5" tire would fit???? My main concern is not to have any rubbing/clearance issues on the FRAME side. I have NO problem modifying the fender lip or fender opening if need be.

I am looking to run as BIG a tire as possible without having to go to a PRO STREET/narrowed rearend setup.

Attachments

• El Camino80.jpg
    El Camino80.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 2,400

dedub

Greasemonkey
Aug 18, 2008
N.C. Fort Bragg
PA, Have I got the set up for you..
I have 8 rims right now... a complete set of Cragars for street, 10" in the back with deep dish and 8" in the front. The other 4 are my track rims, they are all Center lines. 10" in the back with 4" skinnies in the front. Fortunately they are mounted right now. When I get back from work today I'll take a few pics so you can see what the skinnies and 10" with a shallow backspace looks like.
I would not use 12.5" tires on a 10" rim. That's a 1.25" overhang on either side, and with 15 to 20 lbs of air at the track I would'nt feel comfortable. I know some guys have done it but personally I wouldn't

May 17, 2010
dedub said:
PA .....I would not use 12.5" ......

DeDub.... thanks again for the advice. Love the way you EL C leaves the line. I assume you have the right gears + stall. Not bad for a "two pedal car".... :mrgreen:

What have you done to the suspension? (front and rear)

I haven't touched mine yet.... it's as stock as it came from the factory back in 1980.
file.php

dedub

Greasemonkey
Aug 18, 2008
N.C. Fort Bragg
These are just my track tires and rims, I got rained out on Sun so I just drove the car home with them on. I usually do not drive around with this set up. I have Cragars all around. PM me and I'll tell you my suspension set up. Nothing elaborate but definitely not stock. OH and BTW... a 295 is only 11.6 inches wide so that size is perfectly fine on a 10" rims. I wouldn't hesitate a minute to run that set up on the street!
rims3.jpg

Rear: 10" rims with 3.25" back space. Tires are 255-60-15
Front: 4 " rims. Tires are 180-70-15 (*note, I had to buy 2.5" studs and replace the 1" stock Chevy studs and use open ended lug nuts.)
rims2.jpg

Front: 4 " rims. Tires are 180-70-15 (*note, I had to buy 2.5" studs and replace the 1" stock Chevy studs and use open ended lug nuts.)
rims1.jpg

houndin101

Master Mechanic
May 5, 2010
imma get 2 sets of rims and tires.....a set of camaro rally rims 16x7 front and 16x8 in rear.......then a set of 18"rims idk what kind yet

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor