79 Cutlass Wagon G-machine build

Status
Not open for further replies.
What a difference!

wagonatschool.jpg

wheels15.jpg

It looks great Ben.
Nice low stance and wide meats. Great looking wheels. I think Tony used a narrower rim up front on his wagon.

We'll chat again when you're up for it.

nice wagon i got a 79 too my question for anybody following id will the supreme headder pannel fit on a cruiser? and would i have to change bumpers too?

One extreme ride height photo. Just for kicks I put the old "skinnier" rims on and let the car down. This is with 2" spindles and 2 3/4 coils cut off the springs. There was about 2.5" of clearance under the front cross member. That wood block is 5.5" tall. Wish I could drive this low all the time, but definitely not here in Utah, the land of lousy roads.

LOW.jpg

Now back to the proposed ride height with the 17's bolted on. I figured this was a good reference point, maybe Powerade will sponsor me now, lol!

newlow3.jpg

I spent today's spare lab time tearing the car down to get it ready to come off the frame. Just a few shots of the aftermath so far. How about those great seat covers! :barf:

stripped.jpg

newlow1.jpg

newlow2.jpg

Nice granny blue carpet, Eeeeew! The new interior will match the theme of the car, mostly black with silver and orange accents. The factory carpet had a pretty thick layer of a flexible plastic backing, something I've never seen before. Much to my surprise the jute pad underneath looked almost brand new. I suspect the plastic backing saved it from dirt and grime and all the milk bottles spilled in the back.

carpet.jpg

Here's Grandpa's Oldsmobile driver's side portion of the split bench next to the Mazda seat. Looking forward to getting them in, I'll be building the mounts after the car is the rest of the way torn down. The Mazda seats will make a huge difference in keeping my backside planted in hard cornering. Woohoo!

seats1.jpg

Finally a quick mock up of the driver's seat in place. I need to build custom mounts to raise them up about 3", more to come later on these...

seats2.jpg

ElCaminoGRAN/SPORT said:
Just went over your thread ,super nice wagon my friend and I like the direction your going with it,Deffinitly the first autocross wagon ive ever seen...

There are a few of us long backs tearing up the cones. There's a guy on Pro-touring.com that has a 66 Malibu wagon that recently won overall the Car Craft event that has an autocross, braking, and dyno contests. His car is pretty nimble and puts almost 600 ponies to the wheels with the bottle. Probably;y the craziest one I saw was a mid 80's (?) Ford full size, maybe LTD? wagon complete with wood grain sides and 17" Mustang Bullet wheels ripping it up on an autocross. Youtube has some cool wagons turning corners videos.

dragonmaster093 said:
nice wagon i got a 79 too my question for anybody following id will the supreme headder pannel fit on a cruiser? and would i have to change bumpers too?

Not sure there, but I know that the wagon bumper is unique. The 78-79... sedan bumpers have a raised section in the middle that matches to the middle body panel of the nose.

Longroof79 said:
It looks great Ben.
Nice low stance and wide meats. Great looking wheels. I think Tony used a narrower rim up front on his wagon.

We'll chat again when you're up for it.

Thanks Jack. Yeah Tony had 17x8s up front. Been absolutely swamped, but we'll be in touch again soon. 😀

Hey Ben,
I fully understand. Life is one big juggling act. :lol: You have been one busy lad. Keep up the good work. I see some dramatic innovations coming down the pike. I'll continue to be tuned onto this channel.. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor