79 H/O shifter out of adjustment

Status
Not open for further replies.

08Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Feb 9, 2014
North Jersey
I had a 79 H/O with the floor shifter. When it was in the car hooked up it was off a bit. When it was in park, the trans would be in reverse. If I grabbed the column and turned it as I jammed the shifter into park, it would just catch. I figured it was out of adjustment since when I unhooked it, the trans shifted fine. When I took it apart I saw no adjustment on the cable. Is there any adjustment? My friend just picked up a 79 Camaro and it has the same issue. I’m going to be installing the setup in my Malibu and want to be ready. My friend just picked up a 79 Camaro and it has the same issue.

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
The adjustment was is on the transmission. Look where the cable hooks to the trans. Loosen the nut and slide the adjuster.

08Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Feb 9, 2014
North Jersey
I snapped a pic of each cable end, doesn’t seem to have any adjustment. I couldn’t get either end to turn.
49AD698A-CDB7-44DE-BD2F-A64BB9DA544A.jpeg
161CE2DF-4012-4E2E-9BB0-DF59B8511CBF.jpeg

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
hCMgruyaHpMyH7eyHra4wJBsbDAKn_qvudvIZOJOALpKRt2usNcPWIo1RB-CU8Vd1_dMnBY2nO5qompLn5RPTyGVXO0anhJa28rdCq9Mw1FTNncfIDnVB1f7PwX4hM-PpvRX72ro0UPFMT1syaAoGPu7-CvqVYw

Look at the top picture. The linkage arm that bolts to the side of the transmission has a cable mounting pin which on the back side of it has a nut that can be loosened and the bolt can slide a little bit back and forth. This is Hurst's instructions for the 60's dual-gate adjustment, but should still be applicable to yours as far as getting the adjustment done. As long as you have the right cable, that is.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
To add, the cable must be bolted in place on the transmission and hooked up on both ends to adjust it, obviously. Basically, put shifter in neutral (ensure emergency brake engaged and wheels blocked or on lift), loosen transmission arm nut for cable. Ensure transmission arm is in neutral. Then tighten nut.

Reactions: 2 users

08Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Feb 9, 2014
North Jersey
To add, the cable must be bolted in place on the transmission and hooked up on both ends to adjust it, obviously. Basically, put shifter in neutral (ensure emergency brake engaged and wheels blocked or on lift), loosen transmission arm nut for cable. Ensure transmission arm is in neutral. Then tighten nut.
Got it thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor