79' Malibu Build Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

79loserbluebu

G-Body Guru
May 9, 2009
Illinois
Hey all, my name is Eric and this is my 79' Malibu build thread. I'm only 19 years old so it's not going to be exactly perfect or run 10s in the 1/4. Basically we found the car on eBay and after seeing a few pictures bid on it and ended up winning the auction. This one was in far better shape then the previous one we were looking to get. It came from WI, but was garaged and rarely driven, and originally came from AZ. To be exact, Midway Chevrolet in Phoenix. Since it was an AZ car, the interior was completely shot. The plus side, no rust. It started with a 350 Goodwrench crate engine with a Carter carb on it and an Edelbrock Performer RPM intake. The original 4.4 was blown up from an oil change place, and the owner I beleive forked up the extra cash to have them throw this in there.

We had the car for about 3 weeks before we swapped in the 355 and TH350 from my dad's 69' Camaro. The car was a rocket, but sadly it spun a bearing about 3 weeks later. The trans leaked pretty bad, so we put the original engine and trans back in. Here's some mods that have been done so far.

Engine
Holley 670 Street Avenger carb
Edelbrock Performer RPM intake
Hooker 2451 Competition longtube headers
Pypes x-pipe exhaust with Street Pro mufflers
Holley fuel pump
Taylor 8mm wires
Accell cap and rotor

Trans
Stock other than a 2000 stall
You may be thinking why I have a stall in the car without a aftermarket cam. Basically it was in the other transmission but we just stuck it on this one.

Rearend
8.5" 442 with 3.73 open carrier
New driveshaft 1.5" shorter than stock (compeltely new)

Suspension
Gas shocks
Iceman trans crossmember
mis-matched torque thrust wheels

Interior
*Sigh*
New headliner and visors
New seat covers
86' Monte Carlo dash
Repro Malibu seat covers
new quarter trim and b-pillars
Mint a-pillars
Cutlass lower quarter trim panels
New carpet painted rear quarter trim inserts
Monte Carlo floor console with shadow box
Monte Carlo 3-speed shifter
Monte Carlo SS steering wheel

Basically it's nothing too great, it's a 79' Malibu that it's my first project car and I'm just trying to get it to the point where I can say I'm happy with the car and wouldn't change anything about it.

Who's ready for pics?

Before tearing it up
DSC01465.jpg

DSC01449.jpg

DSC01451.jpg

DSC01452.jpg

DSC01454.jpg

DSC01455.jpg

DSC01457.jpg

DSC01473.jpg

Engine and trans swap
DSC01502.jpg

DSC01515.jpg

DSC01537.jpg

DSC01531.jpg

Interior
I decided this wasn't working out too well :lol:
DSC01623.jpg

DSC01926.jpg

console.jpg

Garbage
DSC01858.jpg

DSC01861.jpg

Nice clean floors!
DSC01863.jpg

DSC01864.jpg

New color - Shadow blue
DSC01870.jpg

DSC01899.jpg

DSC01904.jpg

DSC01911.jpg

DSC01920.jpg

DSC01936.jpg

DSC01937.jpg

Electric fan high speed switch out of an older nissan, fit right in the defroster switch bezel with slight mod
DSC01932.jpg

DSC01947.jpg

DSC01948.jpg

DSC01949.jpg

DSC01950.jpg

DSC01951.jpg

Sorry for the rather large pictures.

Hope you like it and hopefully progress will keep coming!

O. D. Showtime

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 6, 2009
Regina Sask. Canada
Looks great Eric, nice work!

I'm guessing by seeing that the rear panels are in, that you got that Canadian package you were waiting for?

Kevin

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Nice job, Eric. Keep up the good work.

OldBlue82

Greasemonkey
Mar 13, 2008
Huron County, ON Canada
Lookin good! Nice job on the interior, looks like the same color as my monte.

79loserbluebu

G-Body Guru
May 9, 2009
Illinois
O. D. Showtime said:
Looks great Eric, nice work!

I'm guessing by seeing that the rear panels are in, that you got that Canadian package you were waiting for?

Kevin

Sure did Kevin thanks again! The panels were a little chalky but it's hard to find these pieces and probably impossible to find mint ones. Simply cleaned em' up and sprayed them and put them on. No one will notice those anyways :lol: .

username, the car spent most of it's life in Arizona, and 2 years in Wisconsin before coming to the Land of Lincoln. I was so relieved that the floors were clean.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor