79' Malibu Build Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

79loserbluebu

G-Body Guru
May 9, 2009
Illinois
Thanks for all the kind words everyone!

Yeah my dad has been helping me since day 1 with this car and I really appreciate it.

For an update, I trimmed the passenger side carpet to fit since the repro carpets are a bit larger than factory, which is quite alright with me. Should get the sill plate and p/s b-pillar in today as well as the driver side. Also put together the driver side seat and placed it in the car and it's perfect! I can't wait until the interior is finished so I can get started under the hood. Purchased two Jeep steering shafts from a member over at http://www.maliburacing.com, one for me and one for my dad for an early birthday present. I think I'm just gonna stick it out and use an aftermarket JVC radio with a install kit for our cars for now until I can purchase a better looking unit. I've been looking for the past couple of days at wheels and I think I found what I want to do. 15x8 all chrome Corvette/Camaro ralleys with white letter tires. Love the look and they aren't very expensive. I am a little bummed that the b-body brake swap won't work with them but a set of aftermarket pads on the front should be plenty for what I've got under the hood.

Oh yeah, also brought the trans we had in this car with the 355 in to school and started tearing it apart in class. It looks like all it had was a shift kit put on it and it shifted great, so I think I may just get a basic rebuild kit and put the kit right back in.

I just found out that they re-added Super Chevy Show in Joliet at Route 66 August 14-15 so I better get a move on! 8)

80Maliboo

Apprentice
Feb 26, 2010
79loserbluebu said:
Oh yeah, also brought the trans we had in this car with the 355 in to school and started tearing it apart in class.
Man my English teacher would have flipped sh*t if I did that back in school. :rofl:

79loserbluebu

G-Body Guru
May 9, 2009
Illinois
Haha nope, I'm in college now and since I'm going to a automotive school that's one of the lab jobs for our class. It was either me bringing in a TH350 or the teacher would have given be a 4L60E or 80E to tear apart and put back together. I chose to bring one in because I want to rebuild it and then put it in a car and drive the car. The schools don't normally do that with automotive classes and it's a shame too. We tore it down to where the valve body is off and the pump is out. The teacher said the main difference between a 4L60 and TH350 is the front drum is different between the two but other than that it is the same. Other then a stock rebuild w/ shift kit there are two pieces on a TH350 that like to get weak and both parts should be replaced with ones from a 700R4, so I think I'm gonna do that.

Right now I'm outside putting in the aftermarket b-pillars :blam: , trimming the carpet, putting the kick panels in and then the sill plates as well as the front seat belts. Hoping to be done very soon and pictures will be going up tonight!

79loserbluebu

G-Body Guru
May 9, 2009
Illinois
Ok well from my last post I couldn't figure out where which seat belt bolts went. So stopped there for the night. Me and my dad went to World of Wheels in Chicago on Saturday, so now I'm even more motivated to get the car done. Got all the interior pieces in the car minus the radio plate, console, and seats. My dad bought a GM Delco radio with a 3.5mm jack for an iPod cable off of eBay, so I think I'm going to read up on how to modify the radios to do it, and then use his old one. Here's some pictures for you guys.

To do list
DSC01985.jpg

DSC01987.jpg

DSC01990.jpg

Cutlass radio
DSC01994.jpg

DSC01995.jpg

I didn't like how you could see wires when I had the speaker wire running back there, so I grabbed a couple pieces of skinny wire loom from the spare harness and pieced these together. Later on in the year I'll get some new loom so it won't be taped in the middle
DSC01997.jpg

I love this console.
DSC02001.jpg

That's all for now folks! Tomorrow we will have the console bolted down in place, the shifter bolted in and the cable and selector bracket on the trans. Also should have the cluster lights replaced and run the wires for the tach, coolant, and oil gauges.

79loserbluebu

G-Body Guru
May 9, 2009
Illinois
mike87442 said:
Very nice build.
Hey thanks! I see you're in Homer Glen, I'm in Frankfort, about 15 minutes from you. Maybe you should come check it out sometime! 8)

Well, I have a couple updates, mounted the electric fan, wired up a killswitch and high speed switch for the fan, and mounted the A/C compressor bracket on the car, as well as made a bracket for the relays and fan controller to be held.

My parents are going out of town for the week so I think progress may be a bit slow :twisted:

:rofl: Just kidding dad, have fun!

Since they are leaving though I'll be out there right after work till it's bed time and I really will get alot accomplished. Still haven't gotten the console fully painted and installed, and still need to put the passenger seat together. My radio kit should be in soon to put the 3.5mm jack on it for an iPod. I'm going to put the jack inside the shadow box so it's hidden and is not on the front of the radio. I did try my hand at fabbing up an extra support for the huge A/C compressor, however it does seem the aluminum is not a good choice. I may hit up the junkyard this week in search of something. I do need to find an A/C compressor connector from an F-body as well. Well here's some pics of the progress made this short weekend.

A/C compressor brace, may keep and add another, or just add another parallel to the engine, like Doober suggested on maliburacing.com
0313101825-00.jpg

Mark VIII fan, it's amazing how well this thing cleans up the engine bay!
0313101958-00.jpg

Relay rack, from the engine looking out
0314101718-00.jpg

And from out looking in
0314101718-01.jpg

More updates coming tomorrow!

RITTER

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2007
Hillsdale, MI
79loserbluebu said:
I do need to find an A/C compressor connector from an F-body as well.
If it's the little 2 wire plug you are looking for, for the A/C compressor, we sell them at NAPA. I can get you a part number for it tomorrow.

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
Looks good making some progress. :D You have been busy working on it. maybe i should get to work.. :roll:

79loserbluebu

G-Body Guru
May 9, 2009
Illinois
RITTER said:
79loserbluebu said:
I do need to find an A/C compressor connector from an F-body as well.
If it's the little 2 wire plug you are looking for, for the A/C compressor, we sell them at NAPA. I can get you a part number for it tomorrow.

If you could I'd greatly appreciate it!

Today got the wiring a sorted out a little better. Got the high speed fan relay to click and work right with the Nissan fog light switch, and light up when there will be power to the fan. Took off the A/C compressor and tomorrow going to drain the coolant and p/s fluid and mount the entire serpentine assembly before I take it back off and paint it and put on some new water pump gaskets.

Quick question, does anyone know if there is anything that needs to be done to adapt a reverse flow water pump to our cars? Such as running the heater hose to the radiator instead of the water pump? Also, does anyone know how the pressure switch inside the compressor is wired? I took the loom off the A/C compressor wiring and it looks like the little butt connector, connected to the switch is the ground wire for the compressor. If that's the case, I assume when pressure is too low/high, the switch inside the compressor opens and the clutch disengages?

88MONTESS

Greasemonkey
Sep 27, 2009
Very nice! I plan on starting my interior soon hope my floor boards look that good :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor