'79 Monte

Status
Not open for further replies.

eocoolj

Apprentice
May 27, 2010
Hey all... I've got a '79 Monte that I've been driving now as a daily driver since I got my license in 2003. Its been in the family since new, and she's currently sitting at a little over 104k miles. 100% bone stock, with a 267 V-8 (some would say the worst SBC ever, but she gets 20+ mpg highway, so I cant complain too much).

I have been out of college about a year now, and am presently grappling with whether to sink some money into her or move on to a more practical car for a daily driver. Been dreaming of a C5 corvette for years now, and they have gotten very reasonable in price, but at the same time I look around and 79 Montes are much rarer than C5 corvettes, and cooler in some ways as well.

My main problem with the Monte is I have alot of trouble getting the motivation to really get into a serious project with her. She's been very reliable for me, with no major failures and very few minor ones. I have done a fair amount of my own maintenance, but its tough for me to get into anything more serious.

Anyways, thats a bit about myself. I'll post a couple pics too. They are a few years old, but the car looks basically the same today. The paint is just a little duller and the hood ornament is gone, lost to some anonymous vandal (if anyone knows where I can find a replacement for less than $100, please PLEASE let me know!)

If anyone has any questions or comments, i'd love to hear them.

DSCF1037.jpg

DSCF1036a.jpg

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
Welcome!

If you're reluctant to dive into a big project, don't!
Just keep maintaining, driving, and enjoying it like you have been!

The 267 is no powerhouse, but the one that was in my '79 wagon was great to me.
It even pulled down 20 mpg in the city and 23 mpg on the highway. Not bad for a 30 year old car with 225K miles on it...

Blazenlotus

G-Body Guru
Mar 4, 2010
Stockton, MO
Welcome! I think the Monte would be way better than a Corvette but thats just my opinion.

eocoolj

Apprentice
May 27, 2010
Blake442 said:
Welcome!

If you're reluctant to dive into a big project, don't!
Just keep maintaining, driving, and enjoying it like you have been!

The 267 is no powerhouse, but the one that was in my '79 wagon was great to me.
It even pulled down 20 mpg in the city and 23 mpg on the highway. Not bad for a 30 year old car with 225K miles on it...

yea, I keep hearing stories of these engines running into very high miles. My dad had a 305 powered '80 camaro that we kept until it had just a hair under 200k miles.

As to not diving into projects, its the kind of thing where I really want to if I am going to keep it, but its just hard to get started.

JBreu

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2008
Livonia, New York
Welcome..........My first Father and Son project, me the Son, was a 1979 Monte...as I'm from the Rochester N.Y. area good cars are hard to find...anyways back in the day my Dad had a towing business and he acquired this '79 from S.C. for $50.00 with a blown V-6..When he brought it home we thought it was gray.until I washed it and had found out it was the baby blue color...still had factory seat covers in the rear...This was back in 1989....I was 19 then.....We put a 305 in it with a crane cam fireball 2 with headers and I though I was the sh*t..also had a 12 bolt in her from a '72 elky donor....Blew the motor and put a built 355 in her...Anyways......That was then , eventually sold the car like a fool........ Then I had a "Mid Life Crisis" and built the '84 I have now :D If this Monte is your baby and it sounds like it is, why not keep it and get your vette if that's what you wanna do....and eventually start this project..There are alot of cool peeps on here that will help you in any way they can....We all love the old G-Body's.

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Wow, very nice Monte. I would start on it if I was you. but just start out small. Start with maybe getting all the bracing on it. And then some bolt on suspension and brake upgrades. Just take your time with it and run that 267 as long as you need to. Maybe start building another engine, so that the day that 267 goes (or you just decide you want more power lol) it's there and ready to go. And your suspension and brakes will already be able to handle it.

If you take your time slowly getting the parts you need (lots of good deals in the FOR SALE section), your Monte will be way cooler than any Corvette. And probably can be done cheaper than buying a Vette.

19cutlass79

Greasemonkey
Mar 7, 2010
I don't know, if your not inclined to keep it and its been in your family since new why don't you release it to another family member that really wants it with the stipulation of "if you ever get rid of it I get first crack". And if space is not a problem why not keep it and get the c-5 because whatever you get for the monte wont be considered a sizable down on a vette anyway I think. Just my 2cents.

wade

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor