Doober

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
Swartz Creek, MI/Tucson, AZ

Kennybill

Master Mechanic
Mar 17, 2010
Braceville, Ohio
Pretty big difference in the width. Is it a posi? What's the gear ratio? Being a 8.5 they might be worth something. 1964 to 67 A-bodies are narrower than the 1968-72. Southside Machine use to make a kit to use these housings. Good luck

Doober

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
I'm not worried about width, going to have it shortened to stock width (2"-3" overall difference). Not sure of gearing etc., but I'm not worried about that either, cross that bridge when I come to it. The 8.5" B-Body rears are pretty plentiful, so they aren't very pricey. It will also need the brackets transferred over from the G-Body rear. By the time it's done my plan is for it to basically be a G-Body 8.5", with the only difference being the upper control arm length, but I'm not sure how much difference that will make in suspension travel/geometry.

SSpev

Greasemonkey
Jan 9, 2017
Why not an 8.8? I've been contemplating this for my wagon. $350 kit, arms and brackets. Plus some axels.

Doober

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
If I got an 8.8 for free maybe... don't forget the flange on the driveshaft or custom length axles. Once it's done all I need is a pair of off the shelf axles for a G-Body, and if the last thread is accurate it's closer to a bolt-in than any other rear, not counting the shortening and bracket relocation that's typically required for most swaps.

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Biggest problem is the LCA mounting locations. Thats why 8.8 swaps kinda sorta work but have varied success. The instant center is messed up and is never really fixed.

Interested to see the progress.

Bar50

Royal Smart Person
Jan 1, 2009
Tulsa, OK
If I say the paint is wet, would you touch it to check?

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
  • Agree
Reactions: 2 users

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
i looked at one of these "B" body rear axle once when i had it laying around the garage, i thought the upper control arm mounts (which are cast as part of the housing) were the sticking point. i don't remember the mounts matching a g body or the axle from the 64-72 "A" body cars. i believe they are further apart.
but i will gladly be wrong. we all would love another source for rear axles. please keep us posted on your endeavor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor