8.5" rear

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanwitski

Master Mechanic
Nov 5, 2006
OH
I'm just finishing rebuilding a 7.5" series 3 with 3.42 ratio. The problem is I know I'll blow it up again in about three months. My question to you elky guys is where can i find an affordable 8.5" rear for a GN or campatible g-body to put in my Camino? I only found two online for $1,200. They don't have to be posi, I can do that. Thanks guys!

383Camino

Master Mechanic
Mar 1, 2006
South Dakota
I tried to find one when I blew mine up. I got a 7 5/8 out of an S10 Blazer. Required some out-of-the-box thinking, but it has held together for 4 years and a bunch of dragstrip passes.

ryanwitski

Master Mechanic
Nov 5, 2006
OH
interesting I did not know a 7 5/8 was that much stronger. Of course it depends the hp. I eventually want a 400 SB with about 500hp+. I blew the 7.5" doing a burnout. I should look into that. It would save me from buying a whole new housing. thanks

Chevyman85

G-Body Guru
Oct 25, 2006
Bonney Lake, WA
You should get an 8.5" 10 Bolt out of a GN or Cutlass 442. They are both GBody cars so it will swap directly in. I know there is one guy selling a complete GN rearend for $800 on the site. I've also seen them around for about that price. I think that would be the best/easiest way to get a durable rearend that can handle the kind of power you

ryanwitski

Master Mechanic
Nov 5, 2006
OH
cutless and 442 huh? sounds good I'll start looking in awhile. Everyone that knows me at all knows i'll blow this rear end out in a month or two. :lol:

elcam84

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 2, 2006
Just keep looking. I finally found one this summer.

The GN ones had 3.42 gears while the 442/H/O ones were 3.73. I ended up with a 3.73 but no posi. I would prefer a 3.42 but the price was right.

The 7 5/8 is very slightly stronger. Also later 7.5s went to 28 spline axles.

You can get 28 spline axles then a posi carrier for them and you can go to a 7 5/8 gear but... You will have to find a used set of 7 5/8 gears as all the replacements are 7.5. then use an aluminum cover to stiffen up the rear.

By the time that's all done you have spent as much as an 8.5 and you only gained a 7.5 rear that is marginally stronger than stock.

The 7.5 can live a long time if you don't put good tires on.

ryanwitski

Master Mechanic
Nov 5, 2006
OH
I will upgrade sometime but not too soon I just rebuilt my old one and i'm sick of seeing the underside of my elky. lol :)

Chevyman85

G-Body Guru
Oct 25, 2006
Bonney Lake, WA
ryanwitski said:
I will upgrade sometime but not too soon I just rebuilt my old one and i'm sick of seeing the underside of my elky. lol :)
I hear you there! :D Upgrades usually happen when something lets go!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor