'80 442 Vortec swap won't run...

It is rejecting it's bastardization. Even the newest sbc is now an old motor, hope you didn't pay much for it.

Reactions: 1 user
Well, turns out my compression tester is toast... Getting one this afternoon... Then will update... Finger testing, there is compression, just can't tell how much... #1 is considerably lower than the rest, by feel...

It is rejecting it's bastardization. Even the newest sbc is now an old motor, hope you didn't pay much for it.
It is pissed I haven't gone back to a 350R, the original engine... And no not really, $200, for the engine w/accessories, harness, loaded EFI intake, exhaust manifolds, etc... Had it been a junkyard engine, it would have been much more, with most of the setup, aside from ecu, and fuel system...
20240531_233253.jpg

Last edited:
Wow after all that?

With little to no compression it couldn't have sounded very normal when cranking?

Any improvement with some oil squirted in the holes?

That's really unfortunate. :(
Yeah... My luck runs like that somuetimes...I haven't tried oil or marvel, yet, since I doused all the cylinders, before turning it over, with a 18 inch breaker bar...

Must’ve been overheated.
Yep, that's what I'm thinking... No choice, now, gotta pull these heads, see what's it's major malfunction is... Was wondering where the chunky greasy stuff came from, that was everywhere... Likely was oil, at some point... The one thing I'm hanging onto, I do have an engine kit I bought for the last 350, and much of it is supposedly compatible , aside from cam, and a few gaskets...

Last edited:
Well, turns out my compression tester is toast... Getting one this afternoon... Then will update... Finger testing, there is compression, just can't tell how much... #1 is considerably lower than the rest, by feel... UPDATE... got a tester... It's got nothing either... WHAT THE? I'm going to go check my van's 318 I revived, after a 17 year slumber... I know it has decent compression...

Have you had the valve covers off?

Broken springs, stuck open valves?

I don't remember if you said you cranked it over with covers off and visually verified all the movement of rockers, valves, etc...

Reactions: 2 users
I just posted in a different thread about using endoscope attached to smart phone, send it in through the spark plug hole and take a look around. Make sure to get one with built in light.

There is a link directly below this text, you may not see it, but it's there...hover your mouse over it to click.
Link to Amazon endoscope...

Reactions: 2 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor