'80 442 Vortec swap won't run...

Be sure your putting the rod and main cap on correct. Remember tang to tang. If one is backward it will bind up. Also some one mention the rod having cracked caps, not true on the L31 vortecs. All rods are the PM and are of standarad chevy.

Reactions: HotRods442
Be sure your putting the rod and main cap on correct. Remember tang to tang. If one is backward it will bind up. Also some one mention the rod having cracked caps, not true on the L31 vortecs. All rods are the PM and are of standarad chevy.
Well 1-4 have arrows on them, point to front, 2, 3, & 4 stamped on top... hard to get wrong, and same with rods, given they are different on each side...mirror each other on every throw... notch on crown toward front, hypereutectic flattops, thinner low tension rings... roller cam, etc... pretty neat setup for the final hurrah of Gen 1...

1-4 with arrows are the main caps. The rod caps are not marked from the factory. I have always marked the mains 1-4 in the order that they came off the motor. Some mains for the factory are numbered and some are not. The same goes for the rods Tang to Tang 1-8 these are not marked with a number from the factory. All rods and mains must go back the same way they came off.

Reactions: HotRods442
1-4 with arrows are the main caps. The rod caps are not marked from the factory. I have always marked the mains 1-4 in the order that they came off the motor. Some mains for the factory are numbered and some are not. The same goes for the rods Tang to Tang 1-8 these are not marked with a number from the factory. All rods and mains must go back the same way they came off.
These mains are stamped, rods aren't, but I keep them in order, also numbered with a sharpie on piston tops and caps, aside from boards I keep them on, in order...

Finished chamfering oil passages, and polishing journals, on the crank, today... Cleaned up pretty good, for doing it by hand...
Tomorrow, will do final cleanup, install it, with the fresh set of bearings...

Attachments

• 20241007_161433.jpg
    20241007_161433.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 6
New mains done, .0015 on 2 & 4, .0017 on 1, 3 & 5... spins very freely... .002 on #1 rod... So far, so good...

Attachments

• 20241014_202603.jpg
    20241014_202603.jpg
    755.4 KB · Views: 2

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor