80 Cutlass motor swap help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
The 69 Buick California 350 was a good running car. A friend bought on new back then. Sure don’t know how available the Buick 350 is now since its been around 45 years since they quit producing them. A Buick 400 or 455 MIGHT be easier to find.
1980 was the last year, so 40 years old at the newest.

Red78Calais4speed

Greasemonkey
Feb 16, 2013
Leominster, Massachusetts
The standard gear for a 1980 Supreme with the Buick 231 V6 was 2.41. 3.08s were the only optional gears but you had to take the HD cooling option (V08).

Reactions: 1 user

Dicemoney

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 2, 2020
I'm not sure what gear ratio it is now.
I found a guy that has a olds 455 with 3 speed for a grand. Idk if that's a good deal or not?
I'm not a car guy I'm a motorcycle mechanic and know little of car motor installs and such.
I think it would be a better idea to just swap a v8 that way I have all around better hp and acceleration. What are your guys thoughts?

Attachments

• 20200414_193656.jpg
    20200414_193656.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 150

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
If it’s a stock engine you would be ok with your stock rear ( slicks and burnouts excluded ) for a while. You could then do mods/improvements as want,time,and money allow. If its a GOOD motor and trans, I’d go for it.

pontiac guy

G-Body Guru
Oct 28, 2016
Royse City, TX
My motto is "There is no replacement for displacement". A 455 with a 3 spd is thirsty though. I think I would negotiate for the motor only and put an OD trans in the car. Assuming you want to feed that much Oldsmobile greatness.

Dicemoney

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 2, 2020
Ya I want a cruiser more then a racer. But I want some snort for play every now and then. So can I easily drop this motor in with my stock transmission?

Max Headroom

Master Mechanic
Sep 8, 2011
Some things to consider.
  • Is this your daily driver?
  • Can you wrench and do you have tools?
  • Are you willing to spend several weeks or months (depending on money) to make this happen?
  • Doing anything to the car means spending real money on it.
  • If you are not willing to spend enough to achieve the outcome you desire, then don't spend anything. It will be wasted and could be better spent on something else.
  • If you do decide to spend money take the amount you think you will spend and add about 30% to that.
  • If you do decide to continue, I recommend going with either a gen II or newer small block chevy 350 or a vortec 350 engine.
    • They are still plentiful
    • They make excellent power per dollar spent (rebuild kits are stupid cheap)
    • They can later be turned into strokers (383) by changing just a few parts.
    • They usually go into BOP G-bodies with relatively few issues
    • They make decent to excellent torque, eliminating the need for new rear end gears (at least initially)
    • They easily accept 4 speed automatic transmissions
    • They are by far, the cheapest to buy parts for
    • An adapter plate to go between the engine and your BOP trans can be had new for about $50
The rest of the comments make good suggestions but you are not going to be happy spending money on anything that gives you less results than a bigger engine (Of what ever kind).

Reactions: 1 users

Dicemoney

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 2, 2020
Those are good points. To be honest I think a 350 would be a better solution cause I really ain't looking for crazy outcome I just want a upgrade for a cruiser. I have plenty of other vehicals it's not my daily driver. I just dont know what all I'm getting into with motor swaps. Not having done one before on a car. A motorcycle is way easier.

pontiac guy

G-Body Guru
Oct 28, 2016
Royse City, TX
If you want a nice DD/cruiser I wouldn't do the 455. I would put a gear in it first. Before you do anything else. Gear. 3.23 minimum. Honestly a 3.42 is only a few hundred RPM more at high way speeds so as a cruiser you may want to go there. You will be amazed how different it feels down low but unchanged on the highway. I just finished a 3.23 with an Auburn in my car and now I'm learning how to drive it again. I keep turning the tires over when I start off cuz I was used to the 2.14. it's safe to say I love it. Bone stock 301 and I drive it, a lot

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor