80 Cutlass motor swap help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiac guy

G-Body Guru
Oct 28, 2016
Royse City, TX
No idea. I do my own gear set ups. I guarantee a lot less than a motor swap and if you go to all the trouble to do a motor and put some crappy 2.14 or similar behind it you won't be happy. 2 series gears are a symptom of CAFE standards and 3 speeds. I can tell you parts are maybe $250 total. This is going to draw a lot of flak but I'll say it anyway.
Buy a good used GM gear $50
Buy a good used 7.5 carrier $100
Get a rear end kit from Summit/Rock Auto etc $100 if you get the right kit it will even have spacers in it to set the gear up.

People are going to get nutty about spending money on the 7.5. for what you want it's probably fine. Plus for $200 you get an actual feel for the car. If you scatter it in a couple years you're out $200. Big deal, people spend more than that at Starbucks. From there you can do some simple stuff to the motor you have. You may find out you are totally happy with it. You will probably go bigger from there but my car is smiles for miles with the 301 and a T5 in front of that 3.23

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
If you want a nice DD/cruiser I wouldn't do the 455. I would put a gear in it first. Before you do anything else. Gear. 3.23 minimum. Honestly a 3.42 is only a few hundred RPM more at high way speeds so as a cruiser you may want to go there. You will be amazed how different it feels down low but unchanged on the highway. I just finished a 3.23 with an Auburn in my car and now I'm learning how to drive it again. I keep turning the tires over when I start off cuz I was used to the 2.14. it's safe to say I love it. Bone stock 301 and I drive it, a lot

I agree. If you're looking for performance you will end up changing your gear anyway regardless of what engine you choose. Do it first with your V6 to see if you like it. It is a relatively inexpensive upgrade.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I would want to hear the 455 run. People push them like a small block and knock, knock, who's there? The bottom end unfortunately. You need to find out what trans is in your car. A TH200 will not survive, a TH350 probably will, add a Transgo shift kit, especially with a mid 70's 455. There is also the TH250, has a stud by the cooler lines, light duty, won't last either. You can keep your stock rear gears, the 455 will easy burn one tire. I would replace the soft stock spider gears with Yukon spider gears. I exploded the stock ones, very soft.

Reactions: 1 user

pontiac guy

G-Body Guru
Oct 28, 2016
Royse City, TX
Go with a 200 4 R after or concurrent with the rear end

harvtown

n00b
Apr 22, 2020
The Rocket (Oldsmobile) 350 is my favorite but the Buick 350 is by far the easiest. Almost everything is a direct swap, the 3.8 is a Buick 350 V8 with two cylinders removed.
I did it once and the 350 buick is an easy swap, but if you are swapping up to a v8. you have to upgrade the springs and radiator(which means the front core support to)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor