80 Monte Carlo built thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
thats the hard part, when I have everyone telling me to just get rid of it and get a new car ....... at this point thou I’m just motivated to get it running
WWQJ9743.JPG

This was sometime in Jan or Feb of this year. The car now runs and drives and is ready for a drag strip. Frame swapped, 10 point cage, motor, trans and rear swapped (on a budget through C-19 as well).

Like I mentioned previously, keep the faith brother. Put down the phone and Facebook and head out to the garage, driveway, shop or where ever it is - get r done. I'm sure I have you me by a decade or two in age, comes down to a choice - and your car has a good reason to get done (thanks Mom.)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Erictorres0311

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 6, 2020
Riverside, Ca
View attachment 151236

This was sometime in Jan or Feb of this year. The car now runs and drives and is ready for a drag strip. Frame swapped, 10 point cage, otor, trans and rear swapped (on a budget through C-19 as well).

Like I mentioned previously, keep the faith brother. Put down the phone and Facebook and head out to the garage, driveway, shop or where ever it is - get r done. I'm sure I have you by a decade or two in age, comes down to a choice - and your car has a good reason to get done (thanks Mom.)

Thank you , any updated pix of this insane built ? Looks really good

Turbo Zach

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 8, 2015
I will tell you a little story. I decided I wanted to get my old high school car running again. I took a good hard look at and decided I needed to buy a better car to begin with. That is why I have the 80 Monte Carlo Turbo. It was very boring and slow so I made it cool. You can check it out in the Suck N blow thread. The idea was when I bought that car I was supposed to get rid of my 79 and 80 Monte Carlo parts car, but I just can't do it! Some day I will build my 79 back up to the glory days. Sentimental value holds a lot of value to me. Don't sell your car and stick to your plan. It will pay off in the end.

Reactions: 4 users

Erictorres0311

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 6, 2020
Riverside, Ca
I will tell you a little story. I decided I wanted to get my old high school car running again. I took a good hard look at and decided I needed to buy a better car to begin with. That is why I have the 80 Monte Carlo Turbo. It was very boring and slow so I made it cool. You can check it out in the Suck N blow thread. The idea was when I bought that car I was supposed to get rid of my 79 and 80 Monte Carlo parts car, but I just can't do it! Some day I will build my 79 back up to the glory days. Sentimental value holds a lot of value to me. Don't sell your car and stick to your plan. It will pay off in the end.

i was thinking the same , looking for a nicer complete Monte swapping out the engine and going from there , but seeing how it was my parents first car....... well makes things a little different .... specially when my mom only paid $500 for it which probably wasn’t the easiest to do back than

Reactions: 1 user

Erictorres0311

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 6, 2020
Riverside, Ca
well i haven't been on for awhile been busy with new cement on driveway (parking space for truck sacrificing garage spot for monte carlo) and getting motor parts for my engine, this past weekend i was able to drop transmission in along with the motor.
was able to get headers on, distributor , carburetor, wont bore you much with nonsense ill update with pix.

also on the old intake manifold it has a adapter next to thermostat housing , is there a specific name for it? need to get a new one for new manifold

thank you

Attachments

• IMG_9648.JPG
    IMG_9648.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 236
  • IMG_9650.JPG
    IMG_9650.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 226
  • IMG_9668.JPG
    IMG_9668.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 247
  • IMG_9670.JPG
    IMG_9670.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 216
  • IMG_9674.JPG
    IMG_9674.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 232

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
well i haven't been on for awhile been busy with new cement on driveway (parking space for truck sacrificing garage spot for monte carlo) and getting motor parts for my engine, this past weekend i was able to drop transmission in along with the motor.
was able to get headers on, distributor , carburetor, wont bore you much with nonsense ill update with pix.

also on the old intake manifold it has a adapter next to thermostat housing , is there a specific name for it? need to get a new one for new manifold

thank you
That's the hose nipple for the heater hose.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Erictorres0311

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 6, 2020
Riverside, Ca
Hey, everyone i look to you guys for some advice , due to not being able to ask my best friend for advice (the one helping me put my POS together , or in his terms "get a new car" lol ) im stuck trying to adjust the valves and putting the brackets on for the alternator, power steering and ac compressor. i know compressor needs to be changed but is there brackets i can get/buy to at least mount the compressor to keep it in place? i can't use the original as we ended up installing some long tube headers. so it kinda throws it off previous posted pic show how engine sits in car currently

Is there any book I can buy that shows how to finish assembly of brackets with aftermarket stuff ? Engine is mildly built but more interested in just getting it to turn on , feel comfortable to continue but need more guidance , I do all my own work on my cars but building an engine is completely different for me , plus having this car taken apart 10 years ago and finally getting around to it

R.I.P. Lalo

my friend was gun down last night at 9:30ish Still under investigation

i owe it to him for getting me this far , now i need to finish this for him.

Attachments

• IMG_9651.JPG
    IMG_9651.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 246
Last edited:

kornball426

Royal Smart Person
May 29, 2009
Philadelphia, PA.
Wow man that really sucks, sorry for your loss. Do they know what happened, does it seem to be just a random shooting like just in the wrong place and got hit by a stray bullet, or did someone intentionally kill him?

As for the air conditioning bracket, I assume you're having trouble because of the part that's bolted into place with two of the bolts through the front cylinder in the stock exhaust manifolds? You "may" be able to get spacers made (some 1/4 or 3/8 iron plumbing pipe cut to length might work), or use a stack of washers and two longer bolts to fill in the gap between the bracket and the now much thinner exhaust flanges on your headers compared to the stock manifolds. I've seen some G body specific headers come with a built in spacers to solve that issue. I'm sure multiple guys here are running headers with the early stock air conditioner and V belt pulleys that might be more helpful than me.

I was looking at my stock AC bracket the other day and trying to figure out this exact problem for when I swap motors in my car. I want to keep the air conditioning at all cost, and will not settle for stock manifolds. There's gotta be a way around it... Worst case I may buy a used serpentine belt setup off a junker 90's truck.

It doesn't need the air conditioner compressor in place to run though... If you're just trying to get it going. Really just need a belt to the water pump and alternator to run... And ideally to the power steering if you want to drive it lol.

Erictorres0311

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 6, 2020
Riverside, Ca
Wow man that really sucks, sorry for your loss. Do they know what happened, does it seem to be just a random shooting like just in the wrong place and got hit by a stray bullet, or did someone intentionally kill him?

As for the air conditioning bracket, I assume you're having trouble because of the part that's bolted into place with two of the bolts through the front cylinder in the stock exhaust manifolds? You "may" be able to get spacers made (some 1/4 or 3/8 iron plumbing pipe cut to length might work), or use a stack of washers and two longer bolts to fill in the gap between the bracket and the now much thinner exhaust flanges on your headers compared to the stock manifolds. I've seen some G body specific headers come with a built in spacers to solve that issue. I'm sure multiple guys here are running headers with the early stock air conditioner and V belt pulleys that might be more helpful than me.

I was looking at my stock AC bracket the other day and trying to figure out this exact problem for when I swap motors in my car. I want to keep the air conditioning at all cost, and will not settle for stock manifolds. There's gotta be a way around it... Worst case I may buy a used serpentine belt setup off a junker 90's truck.

It doesn't need the air conditioner compressor in place to run though... If you're just trying to get it going. Really just need a belt to the water pump and alternator to run... And ideally to the power steering if you want to drive it lol.

it really sucks, knew him for 10 years, our kids grew up together and he left behind his wife and 4 boys , I knew there was problems between him and his wife , not sure if he was messing around and being at the wrong place at the wrong time. He was with some female when I’m guessing boyfriend followed them and caught them ,,,( don’t know for sure everything still under investigation I do know the female and the male that shot were Family friends) needless to say he was shot in the car passanger side , Female called authorities told them who it was , found guy tried to do traffic stop and he led them in speed chase untill he stopped came out of car holding a gun and he was killed by officers .

And yes as far as brackets goes since we went with long tube header the original bracket that attached to header doesn’t fit anymore , was trying to find either a replacement that I can use or if I have to just buy a new bracket set up , and if so which bracket set up works , would also be needing the one for power steering since those brackets seem to overlap or need one another to support themselves

I know I don’t need the ac but would like to have it set up , so I don’t forget how it’s suppose to go, it only took me 10 years to get this far and not being able to ask my buddy makes It A little harder Cars were his passion so I knew he already knew what I was gonna need but we didn’t get a chance to discuss that after all , we had plan on having car running by this past weekend or this upcoming weeekend the latest :/

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor