81-87 Regal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RegalBegal

G-Body Guru
Jul 10, 2009
Goldsboro, NC
Welcome aboard! Thanks to the Grand National, theres tons of aftermarket support for the Regal. Most if not all GNX specific parts are reproduced (better get that second job :rofl:) as well as most body panels including complete doors. Besides the rear frame rails, these cars love to rust under the vinyl top, bottom door edges, on the frame near body bushings especially the one under the A/C box plus all the usual places you'd expect on a 30 year old car. G body's have a few performance shortcomings but most of them can be easily taken care of and have been discussed somewhere on this board. Most everyone here will be eagar to help you out.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
For the actual grille insert, '87 Grille is '87 Only
87' is my favorite grill which is why I bought one for my Regal plus I like it without the chrome Buick up top and I have no plans of installing an emblem in the grill either.

20171125_194101_resized.jpg

87National

G-Body Guru
Apr 15, 2009
eastern SD
Plan would be to build it and LS swap it. 5.3 or 6.0 turbo.

Based on your plans for an ls swap, I would look for an 84-87 GN or T type roller. Starting out with a turbobuick you get a baffled tank, FI sender, FI fuel lines, and an 8.5 rear. These are all components that you would need to purchase or upgrade if you start with a carburated regal.

In addition to the above.....turbo regals have a higher probability of having bucket seats/console, black trim, and they tend not to have vinyl tops and chrome rocker trim.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Well, you've got a lot of options available to you depending where you wanted to go with things.

Here's a short list of unique changes I know of between years:

1981 - windshield wipers are dash mounted, not column. Wheels studs/brake hardware is sae not metric like 1982-up.

1981, 1982, and *some* early 1983 frames lack the second set of holes on the frame to move the trans crossmember for a 200-4r.

Once the 200-4r was in use you could order it with the n/a 4.1 v6 through 1984 when the engine was discontinued as an option.

1983 ttype was the first to receive the 200-4r, HOWEVER, it did NOT have an 8.5 rear yet.

1981-1983 cars could have option 5 gauss pod performance clusters. All types got the 5 pod cluster, but swapped in a boost gauge in the lower rh pod.

1981-83 cars that had standard 3 pod gauges still have the 5 pod housing behind the woodgrain bezel, so there is room to install extra gauges if desired.

You know of the header panel and taillight differences from earlier replies. However, if you swap the front header panel out the front bumper fillers need changing as well. (Rears of course do not).

1981-83 had clear front bumper lenses, 84-up were amber.

1984 had a redesign of the gauge cluster, dash wiring, and radio went from shaft style to 1.5 dinn. It is possible to convert between the two styles of radio by unbolting and removing the steel plate that holds the cigarette lighter/radio/climate controls.

1981-83 have the same woodgrain dash plaque over the glove box. 1984 used a raised woodgrain font, 1985/86 used a flat woodgrain. In 1987, all base regals for the same silver/black trim on dash panels and door trim like a turbo car, even on limited models. The 1981-86 cars didn't get that unless they were turbo cars.

Wiper motors changed between the years. Early cars didn't have the delay settings the later ones did, and the pulse delay boards aren't reproduced.

If dealing with cruise control, early cars used a solenoid for vacuum control later cars didnt. The solenoid isn't reproduced, but can be sourced from other cars including cadillacs, vettes, etc.

Rear dash package trays varied by year - 1981-84 were a painted hard surface. By 1985 they were carpet covered. Later, 1986 and up cars, had 3rd brake lights as standard safety equipment with holes in the carpeted trays.

1984-up cars had a rpo sticker on the trunk underside... earlier cars did not.

1984-up turbo cars had a unique wheelwell for the down pipe. And a bonus heat shield on the climate box.

The 1984-up turbo cars had a baffled tank with pump inside, and slightly larger diameter fuel lines. (4.3 monte carlo can be a source of the same)

Landau top and hardtop used different rubber seals on the opera windows, and are not reproduced.

86/87 t tops could be locked with a key, earlier versions couldnt.

1984-up cars occasionally got a cut down front bumper reinforcement (typically called the "export" bumper) that provides weight savings.

Electronic climate control has unique dash wiring, as did the digital dash (available 1984-up both turn and non turbo).

Cars with the cornering lamps in the fenders used a unique front wiring harness, but, can be swapped into a car that didn't done with them with little work.

A 60/40 bench seat car will have the floor mounts in the proper spots for the bucket seats, BUT, the tracks are different.

A limited regal with the 1/2 console will have the mounts for a full length console, just not the hole in the floor for the detent cable.

Concert sound equipped cars had extra speakers in the doors, and, there was an "twilight sentinel" option both n/a and turbo car which would automatically engage lights when the light sensor picked up a dim condition.

If you're planning a driveline swap, cost effective would be finding an 84-87 shell, look for FE2 or F41 on the rpo tag to get the upgraded fast ratio steering box and suspension. Odds are you want better sway bars/shocks to start with. $ for $ you're better off buying a new 9" rear than overpaying for the "ttype/gn" name and getting a worn 8.5...

In 1987, there was a way to order a regal "T" and it came with a 307 engine, but the same interior/buckets/rims/trim as a turbo car. That's why 1987s were "turbo ts" or gn/gnx.

That's should give you a good start. I've taken apart a couple hundred of these, so, once you decide on one you want, and are trying to figure out where/how to get things to transform it, either myself or someone else here can point you the right way.

• Informative
Reactions: 7 users

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Red Deer, Northern Montana territory
Turbo regal baffled fuel tanks and sending units aren't expensive on rock auto so a EFI conversion is super easy. Try to avoid a vinyl top, it could be a rust trap no matter how good the body looks. Check the rear wheel well seams for rust too, mine was hiding there and looked like only surface rust on the wheel wells. Basically all around the rear frame rails and trunk drops, look deep. ;)

el camino ss 84

Master Mechanic
Oct 23, 2016
Nw okc
You will probably be able to find a v8 or non turbo v6 roller easier and alot cheaper than a grand national or t type one. If you get a basic regal based on what year you decide on. you will have extra money you can put towards go fast stuff like a quick ratio steering box,bigger sway bars, ford 9 inch , grand national/monte carlo fuel injection tank and sender,or just finish it up the way you want it.

Reactions: 1 user

Riddick

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 29, 2018
Toronto
84-85 theyre the exact same aside from a few colour and interior trinkets. i believe the gnx grille besides being black also has wider spacing between the fins but dont quote me on that. Mechanically (aside from the engine obviously) an 84-85 would have a 800 steering box which will need changing for an fe-3 if you want the quicker ratio like the gnx had. an LS swap can be a nightmare my dude i am in the last stage of a full frame off resto with a 540 and a t56 magnum. sh*t took me forever. weld the open channel parts of your chassis shut if you're doing an ls swap. as for the frame rails ive never heard of them just blatantly rotting through but the holes that the bushing mounts sit on eat sh*t on the body and chassis like on mine. easy fix. a quick glossary of some of the bigger parts i used for my balls deep restomod like you seem to be interested in:

wilwood 4 piston front brake kit for our gbodys WIL-140-11009DR
forged spindles AAF-ALL56318 def a good buy if youre planning on the front end in the air
UMI upper/lower a-arms and rear control arms with their viking suspension package
qa1 makes a sick rear end housing for a ford 9" that i have a detroit locker in along with some super beefy axles.
I have a bbc but if youre going for an LS quicktime makes a bellhousing for you and whatever transmission you decide. if you go manual get a tilton throw out bearing and mcleod clutch and convert to hydraulic. dont use the mcleod TOB i read bad stuff but have no first hand exp.
also you'll want to change the fuel sending unit and put a high pressure pump in the tank for EFI.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2012
For the actual grille insert, '87 Grille is '87 Only, but you can still buy them new. '84-86 grilles have a chrome strip at the top that says "Buick". '87's had a little "buick" emblem attached to the griile.

Yeah I'm after a chrome 87 grille. Probably a long shot but if anyone has one that they'll sell for less than what G Body Part wants for one, or wants to trade for a nice chrome 84-86 grill, let me know.

Muswagon

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 29, 2018
I am liking the 87 grille the best..

Found a few prospects, 1986 Regal that even has good rear frame rails so that's a plus. 8 hour drive but worth it for the right car i guess. There is an 85 t type that has t tops (good/bad?), the nice interior, rear spoiler and front air dam which would save time and money but loos like it needs alot of help, that one is further but thats part of the fun i guess.

Does the G body community get up in arms when someone makes something it isn't? I would never badge it that way, but I love the rear spoiler, GNX wheel flares and the front air dam, like alot...

No idea what engine yet, the only guarantee is that it will have 2 extra cylinders than a GN

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor