BUILD THREAD 81 Buick/Olds Turbo Wagon 02/15/2024 More Parts!

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Jim,
Where I took it down to bare steel were the areas that I welded. Some parts were taken down to copper. I don't blame you for wanting to strip it down thoroughly, especially after doing as much extensive work on it as you did. I also used some All-Metal to fill pock marks and where I welded the bumper bolts to the rear bumper.

That is exactly what I will be doing, using the Evercoat Metal-to-Metal, similar to the USC All metal.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Yeah, I like the Evercoat products. I've never used the Metal to Metal, but I'm sure both products are comparable. I like that it dries hard, unlike plastic filler. I've used it on body/ door edges before. It's almost like using lead..close anyway.

Flyers9928

G-Body Guru
Jul 30, 2014
South Central Pa
Evercoat RAGE is the best filler I've used. its good stuff

Reactions: 1 user

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Yes, I agree regarding Evercoat RAGE, it's great stuff, but it's plastic body filler, not the aluminized stuff that dries rockhard. For the purpose that we mentioned, it would be too soft.

Reactions: 1 user

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
I try to stay with one manufacturer for body stuff. Evercoat for the fillers and the like.

Flyers9928

G-Body Guru
Jul 30, 2014
South Central Pa
Metal to metal is great stuff. I like evercoat for filler, but I use 3m for seam sealer, tape, and scuff pads/discs among other things. I have a finishmaster local that hooks me up. When I worked in the body shops, I used to order and keep inventory on all the paint and supplies.

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Metal to metal is great stuff. I like evercoat for filler, but I use 3m for seam sealer, tape, and scuff pads/discs among other things. I have a finishmaster local that hooks me up. When I worked in the body shops, I used to order and keep inventory on all the paint and supplies.

I too use a lot of 3M.

So, last night I welded studs the the backside of the bumper to hold it to the bumper support, also modified the bumper support to fit now that the is no plate pocket. I moved a shorted the passenger side "light" hole. I also welded up the backside of my joints.

I still have to shorten the passenger side end, do the top under the grills, then work everything for nice gaps.

Here is a pic, the bumper is just hanging there so don't mind the gaps.

IMG_20150520_205953.jpg

It's raining today so I may just fiddle with gaps tonight.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Flyers9928

G-Body Guru
Jul 30, 2014
South Central Pa
Looking good, keep up the great work. All the bumper bolts are mostly covered on my 86 Cutty plus there aluminum so I couldn't do that with my little 110v flux core mig. I need to get the body work finished on my car, been driving around with a half primed roof all winter. Started sanding down the roof in the fall and then my back acted up and it got too cold to paint. Going to sand down the roof and trunk lid were the paint checkered and crows footed and do like a 2 tone black and keep the factory dark red metallic on the rest of the car until I have the time to do a full respray. I'm gonna do the roof down to the body line in the quarter and the trunk lid and paint them flat back for now, kinda like a 55-57 chevy 2 tone. Gotta get touch up paint and touch up the bumpers and key marks on the sides. Who ever had my car before me pissed somebody off. car had been keyed on both sides and a window was broken out at some time based on the glass under the rear seat and surface rust on the interior screws and overhead light. Its coming along I will do a build threat soon when I start doing the body work and general freshening up.

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Been spending of ton of time going through the thread, fixing pictures and my spelling. Since I have been posting from my phone, the damn auto correct jacks my posts up royally.

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Just called the powdercoating place up, my aluminum radiator support is done! I'll leave work here in a bit and go get it. I can put it on and start to finalize some things on the front end! YAY!

Reactions: 2 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor