81 Malibu project restarting

Max Headroom

Master Mechanic
Sep 8, 2011
So I picked up a 79 hurst olds that a kid from my job wrecked. I was originally going to part it out but now I’m thinking of swapping the drive train into my Malibu. The olds 350 with hurst dual gate shifter is a bit of a step up to my 305 column shift. I had an 02 Tahoe lined up, before the olds fell in my lap, but the guy backed out. The LS swap will have to wait. Couple of pics of the olds.

Looks like someone did it to him not the other way around.

Max Headroom

Master Mechanic
Sep 8, 2011
Not sure what you mean? He got cut off and spun out and hit the rear on the center divider.
What I meant was that the damage to the car was all rear end (that I could see) and some a hole probably did something a holes do and your co-worker paid for it.

08Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Feb 9, 2014
North Jersey
What I meant was that the damage to the car was all rear end (that I could see) and some a hole probably did something a holes do and your co-worker paid for it.
Yeah the accident damage was all rear end, but the rust was complete. It was the rust that did the car in.

Reactions: 1 users

Max Headroom

Master Mechanic
Sep 8, 2011
Yeah the accident damage was all rear end, but the rust was complete. It was the rust that did the car in.

I am in the deep south. I keep forgetting that you guys have to fight rust as a fact of life. Although there are fewer G-bodies around here, most of them have very little rust. I'm not good with body work, so I would probably not buy a car that you guys would consider a prime candidate for restoration.

08Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Feb 9, 2014
North Jersey
Added led dash bulbs today, much better. Can’t wait to try them out. Couldn’t read the speedo at night before. Still need to make the tach, temp, and oil pressure gauges work. With the old engine in here I haven’t bothered.

Attachments

• A78A3FF6-5ACE-4BB6-A113-D4EF8E6ABD9B.jpeg
    A78A3FF6-5ACE-4BB6-A113-D4EF8E6ABD9B.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 133
Reactions: 3 users

08Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Feb 9, 2014
North Jersey
Was driving home from work today, in my truck. Car in front stopped short, and I slammed on the brakes. My foot hit the floor. Luckily I was able to swerve and avoid an accident. Turns out I blew out a rear brake line. I was just under it on Sunday, and noticed I should order new lines. I guess it was definitely time. Looks like I have to drive the Malibu until I fix it. Of course it’s going to rain all next week and I have no hvac in the car. So dumb for taking it out. Luckily I didn’t get rid of the engine and start my winter projects on the car yet.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user

08Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Feb 9, 2014
North Jersey
I was looking at the car in the garage tonight and got curious. On the drivers a pillar there is a few small rust spots. I thought they were stone chips, so I poked at them. The damn thing went right through the metal. Sucks.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 1 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor