81 Malibu rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.

procircuit

Master Mechanic
Sep 28, 2012
Langley BC
1980malibu said:
Procircuit, I just want to say this thread is the reason I joined the forum. I read this entire thread last night and dreamed about building my own shop lol. You have awesome skills and an awesome car. I hope mine is half this nice when I get done.

thanks man, really appreciate it!... i have quite a few more updates and pics to add but im waiting till i get a little further along this week... plus last night i put a flat screwdriver into my hand by accident so i didn't finish my trans lines lol

Blacktiger355

Apprentice
Jun 12, 2013
Kettering, Ohio
procircuit said:
thanks man, really appreciate it!... i have quite a few more updates and pics to add but im waiting till i get a little further along this week... plus last night i put a flat screwdriver into my hand by accident so i didn't finish my trans lines lol

OUCH! Done that before myself. Not fun! Car is looking awesome though! Cheers!

procircuit

Master Mechanic
Sep 28, 2012
Langley BC
Rolled her outside while I was shortening bumpers in shop. few more pics tonight.

778B8262-7F5B-4789-83AC-01CA39381C68-14411-000013EE8831DD21.jpg

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Very nice...meticulous build.
The car looks great in satin black...and the firewall is a work of art. Everything appears to be well thought out.
Keep up the good work!

procircuit

Master Mechanic
Sep 28, 2012
Langley BC
Longroof79 said:
Very nice...meticulous build.
The car looks great in satin black...and the firewall is a work of art. Everything appears to be well thought out.
Keep up the good work!

Thanks! Appreciate the kind words.. I have a bunch more photos to out up of progress, just waiting till tonight, see if I can squeeze another good day of work in. :D

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I'd like to see how your bumpers turn out. Are you painting them body color...or doing something different?
I'll check out your new pics when you post them. :)

procircuit

Master Mechanic
Sep 28, 2012
Langley BC
Longroof79 said:
I'd like to see how your bumpers turn out. Are you painting them body color...or doing something different?
I'll check out your new pics when you post them. :)

They turned out perfect, hug the body seamlessly.. No more fillers. Plans are to powdercoat bumpers color matched to car, rechroming shop told me 1400 a bumper :shock:

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
procircuit said:
They turned out perfect, hug the body seamlessly.. No more fillers. Plans are to powdercoat bumpers color matched to car, rechroming shop told me 1400 a bumper :shock:

Thats' great! Sounds like powder coat is the way to go. No chipping problems as you'd have with paint. Having them re-chromed is prohibitively expensive. Especially the crazy quote that you were given... :shock:
Just curious. What did the powdercoater quote you to do the bumpers?

I also eliminated the fillers, and feel better about it. :D

procircuit

Master Mechanic
Sep 28, 2012
Langley BC
Longroof79 said:
procircuit said:

Thats' great! Sounds like powder coat is the way to go. No chipping problems as you'd have with paint. Having them re-chromed is prohibitively expensive. Especially the crazy quote that you were given... :shock:
Just curious. What did the powdercoater quote you to do the bumpers?

I also eliminated the fillers, and feel better about it. :D

I can get both bumpers done for 200 at the powdercoater

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
procircuit said:
I can get both bumpers done for 200 at the powdercoater

Thanks man! Just wanted to get an idea what the ballpark would be. Still cheaper than chroming, but I may still end up painting them.
Have you considered chrome paint at all? Although, there's powdercoat that's almost chrome like...hmmmm. You got me thinking now... :idea: I'm liking the idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor