81 Malibu Wire ID Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Odd way of doing it. I usually run across lots of extra wire run for aftermarket gauges.

Should be able to pull that 3-terminal bus out of the block and replace it, def better than splicing in a short piece.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Odd way of doing it. I usually run across lots of extra wire run for aftermarket gauges.

Should be able to pull that 3-terminal bus out of the block and replace it, def better than splicing in a short piece.

I cant figure out how this was supposed to work. Its like he tapped into the hot line, ran it to one post of the gauge but whats the idea of the other side ? It ends up at the block which would be a hot wire.
The instruction sheets for Autometer gauges say one hot, the other ground. Im stumped unless Im reading something the wrong way.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Ammeter maybe?

"Back in the day", it was ammeters, not voltmeters that got installed

Reactions: 1 user

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Yup, ammeter- lose it, tells you nothing especially on an interior circuit.

There's a huge debate between old and new school about their effectiveness. Old timers like them and swear by them. If installed correctly, it goes in the charge line between the alternator and battery. Absolutely correct would be in the battery cable and the gauge would have to support the starter draw. So, that means your charge line is longer, has this gauge as a restriction, and best case scenario- tells you how many amps the battery is taking to charge. Can you tell which side I'm on?

Reactions: 1 users

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Yup, ammeter- lose it, tells you nothing especially on an interior circuit.

There's a huge debate between old and new school about their effectiveness. Old timers like them and swear by them. If installed correctly, it goes in the charge line between the alternator and battery. Absolutely correct would be in the battery cable and the gauge would have to support the starter draw. So, that means your charge line is longer, has this gauge as a restriction, and best case scenario- tells you how many amps the battery is taking to charge. Can you tell which side I'm on?

Im really not into tearing this apart to fix it but at this point its got to be done. Both of my cars seem to be fighting me every time I try to do something no matter how simple. LOL
I'll be heading out to the junkyard in about an hour. Im glad the owner knows me from the multiple times Ive been out there pulling stuff out over the past few years. He lets me go out and grab what ever I need. Still a pain in the butt though. At least its not raining.

Michael Watts

Master Mechanic
Dec 12, 2017
I hate when people don`t color code their wires .for an AutoMeter voltmeter one should be a hot wire and the other a ground.I would also get an Chiltons or some other manual for your car.And carry it in your car for reference,

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
I hate when people don`t color code their wires .for an AutoMeter voltmeter one should be a hot wire and the other a ground.I would also get an Chiltons or some other manual for your car.And carry it in your car for reference,
Ammeter don't care, in and out, just depends on how you want it to read.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY

I know what you mean. Guys run wires all over the place and they dont use anything besides red and black. That makes me nuts ! Ive got a drawer full of different color wires in multiple gauges. I also usually use marine grade wire.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
I will run the color of the circuit I tie things into, gauges will be color coded right to it & pre wired will get snipped/spliced as close as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor