81 Monte Carlo Chevy v6 to chevy 305 swap

Status
Not open for further replies.

LilSpann601

Greasemonkey
Aug 11, 2008
Jackson Mississippi
Whats up i got an 81 monte carlo with a chevy 3.8 v6 in it. I just bought a chevy 305 out of a 81 chevy caprice. I was just curious about all the things i need off the caprice to do the swap. I got basically everything but the carb. I was wanting to know will the chevy v6 frame motor mounts fit the 5.0 chevy 305 motor mount on the block side?

I also got the chevy caprices crossmember,dist n cap, i know i will need a 4 barrell.

This is my first conversion so any advice would be helpful. Thanks

midwestls

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2007
Bismarck North Dakota
Your gonna need the motor mounts (plates and clamshells) from the caprice or any small block chevy. I'm not sure if the V6 plate could be relocated or not but you already have all the proper holes drilled just to get the right ones. All the front accessorys can usually be reused from your v6 (power steering, a/c, alt ect. ) as long as you keep all the brackets. I've got all my 4.3 stuff on my 69 350. Exhaust... Headers are pretty easy to find but if you run full length's you'll need to figure out how to get around the one hump g body crossmember. I bought a G Force for mine, but I'm sure there's other ways, if you run shortys or manifolds you shouldnt have to many problems. I don't think the Caprice crossmember will work but I may be wrong. Cooling, V6 radiators suck, plain and simple! Too thin to really cool anything off. On a good note almost anything will work as long as the width it right and all your outlets and transmission lines are in the same spot. I'm running a 69 chevelle radiator in mine. Also your fan shroud on your V6 will be alot deeper to compensate for the front 2 cylinders missing so you'll need a V8 Shroud. Transmission... What are your plans there? I'm still running my origanally 200 4r with a few mods from my V6. If I'm right I believe most chevy motors use the same bellhouseing. I think that should pretty much cover you. Anyone else please chime in if I missed anything and if ya have any more questions feel free to ask. It's been a few years since I did mine so I may have missed something. Hope this helps ya

dougfather

Master Mechanic
Jul 11, 2006
Altoona PA
Here's my write up: http://www.gbodyforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2485. Just so you know, I went from a Buick 231 V6 (completely different from a Chevy 229 V6 you said you have). I think you can use the same motor mounts, but may need to move them.

I think Monte Carlo could have gotten either V6 on depending on year, but don't quote me as being 100% sure on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor