82 El Camino PrOjEcT "UnDa KuRuPtIoN"

Status
Not open for further replies.
yea i didnt really know how to explain it cause he was telling me about it but i was not really payin attention to him lol i was happy i found a elky in that condition for that price.. but i had a mechanic guy i know about it and he told me the same thing so i expected to have to change the flex plate and starter

I swear half the problems people have with these cars is that they expect precision engineering. They expect things to just bolt together with minimal tolerances like on modern cars. That is why so many older project cars get sold cheap with minor issues like this. Guys who are used to working on Civics don't really know what to make of an old American car.

85 Cutlass Brougham said:
Sounds to me like it was improperly shimmed. I didn't really get the problem when I first read it, but the 153 tooth starter shouldn't fit on a 168 tooth flexplate (Well... without a big hammer, an angle grinder and lots of determination), and the 168 tooth starter won't even touch a 153. So, what you will need is a set of shims, and then make damn sure the starter pinion is NOT staying in mesh with the flexplate after the car starts!!! My car did this when I first put it together too, but I knew about the shims. You have to remember that this is an older GM product, not a modern Japanese car. NOTHING fits without a stack of shims in it somewhere! :lol:

As for how to shim, here's a tip: Most shims have one end that has the hole open at the tip. That is the side that goes towards the oil pan. This way, you only need remove the outer bolt, and loosen the inner one a bit. You can then slide in the shim with the starter's weight still supported by the bolt. All you have to do next is start the other bolt, then torque both of the bolts. Just be sure that you have both bolts started before you torque one down. it is the easiest way to align things. Also, you may have to shim it several times to get it right. That is why the package of shims comes with more than one. These are NOT precision parts either, they are meant to work with a fudge factor so that the parts did not have to be made too precisely.

thanks alot for the tips and letting me know all that information before i never used the shimms on previous cars i never had problems with the sarters.. but you were a big help for me i will get to work tomorrow after work 😀 :notworthy:

The shims are a typical older GM thing. I learned about it when I was about 14, sitting on the toilet with an issue of Car Craft. I remembered it later when I got my Cutlass, and when I worked on a friend's Camaro. Also, not all engine/starter sets need shims. It is just that the tolerance stack up sometimes happens (lots of times...) and you need the shims for it.

well i got the el camino running 😀 😀 😀 . and i got it registered without having to take it through emissions. and man am i happy about that.. so what im goin to do is have the tires replace there cracking from sitting that sucks cuz the tread on them are still good.. also im getting my exhaust done this weekend im planiing on doin jus a camaro type muffler single in daul out with chrome tips i will post more pics up this weekend

kuruption109 said:
LOL... YEA WHEN I SEEN IT ON CRAISGS LIST I WAS ALL OVER IT I SENT HIM LIKE 3 EMAILS HOPING TO GET A REPLY QUICLY HE DIDNT HAVE a number posted on the listing.... but he emailed me back with his number so i called him right away when i opened the email. so i meet up with him before i went to work . in fact i called off work lol so i can get it and i took it to the staorage unit and got to work on it started tsakin the interior apart all the plastic trim pieces were dry rotted..
good find! reminds me of when i got my 1978 malibu. I emailed him and as soon as I got a contact number, i left work early to go buy it. Good deals like that are hard to find.

DJLATIN said:
kuruption109 said:
LOL... YEA WHEN I SEEN IT ON CRAISGS LIST I WAS ALL OVER IT I SENT HIM LIKE 3 EMAILS HOPING TO GET A REPLY QUICLY HE DIDNT HAVE a number posted on the listing.... but he emailed me back with his number so i called him right away when i opened the email. so i meet up with him before i went to work . in fact i called off work lol so i can get it and i took it to the staorage unit and got to work on it started tsakin the interior apart all the plastic trim pieces were dry rotted..
good find! reminds me of when i got my 1978 malibu. I emailed him and as soon as I got a contact number, i left work early to go buy it. Good deals like that are hard to find.
yea i refused to miss out on this one.... and like i said i called off work for the day to get it and start workin on it..

I've been making a living on Craigslist buying fixing & selling cars for under 2k and misc. parts and bull sh*t like electronics for almost a year now. Not a good living but getting by. Indeed you must be fast if your looking to get the deals. My girl watches the Columbus Ohio section for me all day while she watches our daughter.

My 89 Trail Cherokee's starter engaged and stuck out into the flywheel on the trail after stoping to eat lunch. Sucked a*s

:blam:

Very nice find :notworthy:

DelOhio said:
I've been making a living on Craigslist buying fixing & selling cars for under 2k and misc. parts and bull sh*t like electronics for almost a year now. Not a good living but getting by. Indeed you must be fast if your looking to get the deals. My girl watches the Columbus Ohio section for me all day while she watches our daughter.

My 89 Trail Cherokee's starter engaged and stuck out into the flywheel on the trail after stoping to eat lunch. Sucked a*s

:blam:

Very nice find :notworthy:
yea im mostly on craigslist untill i go to work and at work im on it from my sidekick 08 so i stay lookin for deals ive also been using clist to make extra money and have i done so..

Lately with everyone low on funds across the country just about anything can be had for cheap from cars cell phones, LCD TV's. There was a 61" Mitsubishi bigscreen in good shape for $300 a week or so ago and it was sold and add removed within an hour.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor