82 Malibu 4 Door

Status
Not open for further replies.

driveit

Apprentice
Nov 7, 2013
I started this in the introduction Thread, but thought it would be better here.

My uncle has an 82 Malibu 4 door that I am about to buy. I am going to test drive it Friday if all goes well I may bring it home with me and get started on the build.

The plan is listed below. Let me know what you think.

Exterior:
Satin black.
Chrome blacked.
Lowered a bit in the front to give it a little rake.
New wheels and tires.
Windows tinted.
Front and rear spoiler.
Possible change over to monte front bumper.

Interior:
Changed to black.
Convert to round gauges.
Change to bucket seats.
Add center console and switch to floor shift.

Suspension:
Update front discs, rotors, calipers and brake lines as needed.
New Shocks.
New Springs.
Add front and rear sway bar.

Engine:
Update, flush and tune as needed.

This is the plan so far, but I haven't even bought it yet. Cart before the horse? I hope not!

I like the front end here. I think that the bumper is called the Smoothy.
Ngb6z74h_VjB40bwqII7bbJp0Ta42wzig3F0TSTz0Zrphx1vUoRtDyBuVLD0D25AQ36vmbWpKRoeFPoS47NGoCLTLhbmUS8xnoHtb-umZfFS3PnSW0cX3dwNYA

I like the spoiler and rear bumper on this one.
zcW-dtXD_81IVDx7zLcHEdoKwsEDT59aLbMaeeBQ2_u1_pZF7PSi4YiVoPNsi9RCRL9D1mmGVS7cH39fjSE1D1Ic2vFpIzM-mieDzG77rPiLeyxOVuO_mgHtdw

I will probably get close the looks below in the Near future.
NGBLozw8uMlHm6fAyddo3DB9LzC5KH_SNoQeoiPiTjQ_uXtxeuKYHalYEiq3UgLctvWAbng1U1DckvAYg9DBGT3rUTt-frOBrvuKYjJ_GLmw8Xot7ibC70Iekw

P9WSihC257Ry_VLdCCx6Txo2EMjXIMYeyBxlt_dR90MxlGHfARooawAy1BfbJoo52ei9vxhSB2stOklKpo3HgPLaOAzyzIV0WcHNq2MZnV3Mx4_mppIxQWyPDQ

I will try and do a rendition of the car once I get it home and get some pics. Here is the one of my 74 with a few options and changes.
chevel10.jpg

Oh and I forgot to mention. He did decide to let me have the car. I have been busting my butt helping him move a trailer and dig water lines. He said if I wanted it that I just needed to pay the transfer. Test driving to night hopefully!

88ss408

Master Mechanic
Feb 25, 2007
baie st anne n.b
Very nice looking car

driveit

Apprentice
Nov 7, 2013
I'm not sure if anyone is really looking at this, but I will post again.

Went out and got the Malibu started yesterday. I found out that the car had been sitting since 2003. It had been started one time since. It has really went down over the years. A lot of surface rust and few rust holes here and there. There is a dent in the top, trunk and hood. Tires are rotted bad. The windsheild had broke at some point. and there is a leak in the front. The carpet was damp and molded in a couple spots. The dash was cracked and gaped badly. Steering wheel melted and sticky.

Other than all of this after cleaning a swarm of dirt dobbers nests, priming the card and jumping the battery it fired on the first try. It took a bit to pull up the fuel, but it ran. I drove it out the road and back. It was about two quarts low on trans fluid and it still locked in gear and shifted perfectly.

I think he told me that the engine was rebuilt and bored 40 over on the 3.8. It originally had a lock up TH350 which was replaced with a non-lockup. I picked up a few things for it yesterday. A wire brush, some primer and fabric/vinyl die. (Don't think the dye will work well. But worth a try before I rip stuff out.)

New goals.

New tires on the Centerline Rims that I have. Upping to 15's.
New windsheild.
New steering wheel.

Clean inside and out.
Remove and repair and visible rust.
possible dye the carpet and seats.Maybe paint some trim.

License, Insure, and Drive It...

driveit

Apprentice
Nov 7, 2013
Took my wife out to see that car. She hates it. Tried to talk me out of it the whole way home. She just doesn't want another project. She wants something that I can just drive and not have to put any money into. To drive it I think that it just needs tires and a windshield.

Anyone know if a 78 Cutlass windshield is the same as an 82 Malibu?

My uncle has the 78. It has bucket seats floor shift and a console.Rough car, but has some good parts.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
The only other windshields that will fit your 4-dr would be from another 4-dr G-body Cutlass, Bonneville, Lemans, Malibu, and any G-body wagon. The 2-dr windshields won't fit a 4-dr.

driveit

Apprentice
Nov 7, 2013
Longroof79 said:
The only other windshields that will fit your 4-dr would be from another 4-dr G-body Cutlass, Bonneville, Lemans, Malibu, and any G-body wagon. The 2-dr windshields won't fit a 4-dr.

I assumed that the windshield would be the same. Is there a size difference between a 2 and 4 door or is it just the difference between the cutlass and bu?

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
The difference is between a 4-door/wagon, and the 2 door. Doesn't matter if it is a Chevy, or BOP. The angle of the A-pillars is different, requiring a different size glass.

driveit

Apprentice
Nov 7, 2013
liquidh8 said:
The difference is between a 4-door/wagon, and the 2 door. Doesn't matter if it is a Chevy, or BOP. The angle of the A-pillars is different, requiring a different size glass.
So the 4 door sedan and the 2 door should be the same then or am I getting this confused?

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
The 4 door and wagon are the same. Any model

The 2 door is all by itself. any model

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor