'83 Cutlass Cruiser Build Thread

Been debating adding the vinyl woodgrain trim around the car once it's painted. Should I do it?

• Yes, that wagon needs woodgrain

Votes: 12 35.3%
  • No, leave that wagon smooth and simple.

Votes: 22 64.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
Well, I've been thinking about it a lot, and I've decided that once the car is painted, that I'm going to put the woodgrain on it. I can't resist.

The car should look something like this when it's finished, though I've decided not to take the woodgrain all the way down to the bottoms of everything. Instead, I'll have it stop at the lower body line, so that it's not so over-powering.

31736620016_large.jpg

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
So I've been looking at what's out there for colors when it comes to the woodgrain vinyl, here are some of the options...

This one's called Marine Teak...
585WG.jpg

Here we have Cherry Oak...
CherryOak.jpg

Burma Teak
LithtTeak.jpg

And the Colonial Teak, that I'm not too fond of...
ColonialTeak.jpg

So what do you all think? I've got my eye on one in particular, but am still undecided... Of course, I've got more that enough time to think about it, as it seems unlikely that I'll be able to paint it this summer like I had previously hoped. But it never hurts to brain storm!

2000.malibu.ls

Royal Smart Person
May 11, 2008
Lake City, Florida
maybe a darker version of the last one?

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Have you considered a more modern version of that green? There was one used on the Mini Cooper a few years back that I love and one that was on the Kia Rio that looks cool too. I was actually thinking about painting my pickup one of those colors as I think they look good with chrome. As for the wood grain, I would do it with some sort of a twist. If there was a way to do a carbon fiber weave mixed with woodgrain somehow, I might go for that. Otherwise, it just looks like a Wagon Master Family Truckster.

78mali350

Royal Smart Person
May 13, 2007
Pratt, KS
I vote the second one out of those four, definately not the last one

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
I like the last one...the "boards" make it a little less cheesy. Pretty sure that's the style that was on the Bonneville, though it had gold rather than black "seperations". Also very similar to the above Malibu..which i like a LOT

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
85 Cutlass Brougham said:
Have you considered a more modern version of that green? There was one used on the Mini Cooper a few years back that I love and one that was on the Kia Rio that looks cool too. I was actually thinking about painting my pickup one of those colors as I think they look good with chrome. As for the wood grain, I would do it with some sort of a twist. If there was a way to do a carbon fiber weave mixed with woodgrain somehow, I might go for that. Otherwise, it just looks like a Wagon Master Family Truckster.

Should I add a second row of headlights to complete the family truckster look? :lol:

I've still got my eye out for other possible shades of green that I like, but haven't had the time/opportunity to sit down with a paint chip book and flip through it and see what I like... The auto show is here next week and the displays there are usually good for gathering ideas.

I haven't seen too many other patterns out there, but if somebody knows of anything different, I'd definately like to see.

78mali350 said:
I vote the second one out of those four, definately not the last one

That's the one I'm leaning towards at the moment.

Ribbedroof said:
I like the last one...the "boards" make it a little less cheesy. Pretty sure that's the style that was on the Bonneville, though it had gold rather than black "seperations". Also very similar to the above Malibu..which i like a LOT

They also have this style that I left off...

ColonialTeakChrome.jpg

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
I actually get most of my color ideas by watching the cars in traffic. I make a mental note of cars with nice colors and what years and models they are. Then, if I need a color, I have a few in mind to choose from. Right now, I am trying to pick a good gold to use on my wheels if I keep them. I narrowed it down to a Hyundai, a Camaro and a Sentra color so far.

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
I do that too, but my memory usually lets them slip away after not too long. I also have not been keeping up with the new vehicles like I used to, as none of them really grab my attention anymore, with few exceptions.
Not to mention that practically every car up here is silver, white, or some other bland color, or whatever color they are is overpowered by the white residue that coats all the vehicles up here from the road salt... :lol:

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor