83 hurst/olds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikes83ss

Greasemonkey
Mar 14, 2011
las vegas,nevada
I think i'm pretty sure I've got my 55 buick sold(i'm praying lol).Well here in las vegas theres a 83 hurst/olds on craigslist and the lady wants 4500$ for it and from the pictures it looks solid.She sent me some pics of the interior and its driver quality but its missing the lightning rod console plate.Is there anyway that I can tell by the v.i.n if its a real hurst olds?Its got the lightning rods,the rally pack dash with dash clock,its got the dark claret interior with buckets,the body work has already bean started but its black over silver with faded hurst/olds decals on the door,and its got the bulge hood.The thing that really caught my attention was its a solid roof.

Attachments

• 83 hurst.jpg
    83 hurst.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 2,425

dudeface

Master Mechanic
Aug 18, 2008
calgary alberta canada
the first thing I see is wheel well chrome...............83 hurst never had them. in fact they never even drilled out the holes in the wheel wells for 83 hurst. makes me suspicious. also......factory 15 inch SSIII chrome wheels are really hard to find, are they included?

from 442.com

1983 hurst olds
The VIN "9" engine code shows it is a 442.
'83 H/O carb is 17083553.
Look for option code W-40 (H/O) and W-42 (442) on the build sheet or the service sticker (in trunk lid).
Sometimes (and I say this because they DIDN'T always put them on) there is a little cowl tag on or under the hood. This will also have the W-42 option listed on it. The Arlington assembly plant said that if they had them when the car was built, they put them on, but if not, oh well. That's because they were wanting to go strictly with the trunk lid mounted service sticker.
It better have the dual snorkel intake with a chrome lid.
Also, check the transmission code "OZ"on the passenger side of the transmission.
This item is indigenous ONLY to the 1983 to 1987 Hurst/442. Look for a "kickdown" switch above the gas pedal. This looks like the old Turbo 400 passing gear detent switch with a little slide switch activated at full throttle. This is actually the full throttle A/C compressor clutch cutout switch. It cuts out the A/C clutch when it's mashed to the floor.
Also, check to see if the tire pressure sticker is still on the driver's door, it will list 215/65/15 as the tire size, again, ONLY on the Hurst/442 in those years

also maybe run the VIN here............see what you get

http://apps.oldsgmail.com/vin.asp

peace

Mikes83ss

Greasemonkey
Mar 14, 2011
las vegas,nevada
Ya I noticed the wheel well moldings and the chrome strip going down the middle of the body.That why I was wondering about the vin number.If its not a real hurst its a good start to a clone since it has the right dash,color interior and its got the lightning rods but i'm not paying $4500 for a clone.There's no mention of the rims in the ad and the 9 in the vin will be at the end or at the beginning?

88hurstolds

Royal Smart Person
Jun 24, 2008
85salonn442 said:
There should also be a W-42 tag under the hood as well
That would be a 442...
Hursts had a cowl tag that was stamped W40 in the lower right.
Also it should have a Maple or Sand Gray interior, not Claret.
The car looks possibly like a rebody.
Crawl under and look for the fuel line heat shield by the tail pipe, also, not all Hursts came with air shocks, mine didn't, but look for those as well.
Does the trunk lid stay up when open? Hursts had thicker trunk lid torsion rods to compensate for the weight of the spoiler.
There's allot of other small odds and ends to look for as well...

Mikes83ss

Greasemonkey
Mar 14, 2011
las vegas,nevada
Thats the color I was thinkin of maple not claret.Thanks mike.I have yet to look at this in person and I was just wanted to know what were things to look for as far as a certain vin number like the 9.If its not real its a real good start to a clone.

Apr 3, 2011
i have several 83 4 hursts and there all correct about with their info but the vin for a true 83 will start as 1g3ak47xxx also look under the hood on the firewall kinda on drivers side n it should match vin n say w40 i also just sold a 83 had top and also have 1 w a fact power moonroof w the rare grey interior any other info needed let me know

Mikes83ss

Greasemonkey
Mar 14, 2011
las vegas,nevada
nicks83hurstolds said:
i have several 83 4 hursts and there all correct about with their info but the vin for a true 83 will start as 1g3ak47xxx also look under the hood on the firewall kinda on drivers side n it should match vin n say w40 i also just sold a 83 had top and also have 1 w a fact power moonroof w the rare grey interior any other info needed let me know

Well thanks nick.I was a previous owner to an 83 hurst hardtop(still wish I had it).I'm sort of in the market for either another 83-84 hurst or a second 83-88 monte ss.I just need to get rid of my 55 buick in order to do this.Do you have pictures of your hurst?

88hurstolds

Royal Smart Person
Jun 24, 2008
nicks83hurstolds said:

The cowl tag number does not match the VIN number, the body's came from Fisher and had a different sequence number. I've learned this the hard way by submitting the body tag number to H/OCA to find out the build date and original owners/dealers of a Hurst. Turned out to be a Hurst not on the list and far beyond the last production date which was not possible, turns out the body tag sequence number was different than the VIN sequence number and wound up being the issue. For a minute I though I had a Hurst that was produced 6 months after the last one made in March of 1983 and thought there were more than 3001 Hursts made...

The body tag will just have the correct interior/exterior color RPO, seat RPO and CC1 for T-tops , W40 for Hurst or W42 for 442. The VIN should read 1G3AK479xxxxxx

http://tech.oldsgmail.com/misc_bplate.php

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor