83 Olds Cutlass Engine Ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 17, 2006
Cincinnati, OH
Go with a 455 its the same work as any small block motor. Almost all of the parts can be used on all size olds v8s. For a whill I had a couple of 350 parts on the 455 and I think I still have 350 headers on it. Ive put a 455 into two different gbodies. A cutlass with a 350 in it already and a regal with a turbo 3.8 in it. The swapp is very easy. I put about $1500 into the motor put gas shocks in the rear and I was in the low 12s with the stock 273 gears.

edmck82

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 13, 2006
Washington DC
ttyperocket said:
Go with a 455 its the same work as any small block motor. Almost all of the parts can be used on all size olds v8s. For a whill I had a couple of 350 parts on the 455 and I think I still have 350 headers on it. Ive put a 455 into two different gbodies. A cutlass with a 350 in it already and a regal with a turbo 3.8 in it. The swapp is very easy. I put about $1500 into the motor put gas shocks in the rear and I was in the low 12s with the stock 273 gears.

Its hard for me to make a decision because I'd love to put somethin a little more fuel economical into my 83 Olds. For a while I was considering something fuel injected but squashed the idea. ttyperocket - what do you get for gas mileage with the 455? Horsepower #'s ?

Theres a definite schism between some who say " It'll bolt right on with different mounts" and others " Alter the AC , stiffen the driveshaft, swap the rear end , and plan on another transmission". Even the 442.com website said a SB to 455 would require a great deal of modification.

Nov 17, 2006
Cincinnati, OH
Im not sure on exact gas mileage, but with the gearing I have in it right now (2.73 or something like that) its not too bad. The wheel horsepower is around 396, but what the big blocks really good for is the torque which is around 530.

Im not sure about the ac since Ive removed my ac, but everything else under the hood was unaltered. I still have a th350 trans, 7.5 rear and driveshaft that all came off of my olds 350. The 7.5 rear wont hold for long but even with a small block making that kind of power the 7.5s arent going to hold up. I just plan on putting a 8.5 and thats plenty strong. When I swapped out my 350 for the 455 I change nothing but the motor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor