83 Olds Cutlass Engine Ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.

edmck82

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 13, 2006
Washington DC
Currently have an 83 Olds Cutlass Supreme 2D V6 231 3.8L that is absolutely immaculate. About 4-5 years ago I had bought a rebuilt V6 stock replacement , that supposedly came with a bunch of goodies(or at least so I thought). Wiped the cam twice and here I am.

Since I already have a 300+HP Lincoln Luxobarge I'd love to throw and engine combo that would be a good everyday driver too and from work. My 87 Grand Prix used to hold those duties , but has since moved on.

Engine options---> I'd like to put a larger displaced Olds engine but am not very savvy on what will work.

Someone once said an Oldsmobile 307 Hurst Olds would do the trick , others have said a full blown 455. Just something I could pick up with the engine hoist , drop in , tune and go. No ripping , gutting , cutting , removing the AC welding . I've done it too many times and would like to enjoy this one for once.

Any ideas or suggestions would be great.

1fast87olds

Greasemonkey
Feb 18, 2006
St. Albans Wv
a nice olds 350 would do the trick... :)

Chevyman85

G-Body Guru
Oct 25, 2006
Bonney Lake, WA
edmck82 said:
Someone once said an Oldsmobile 307 Hurst Olds would do the trick , others have said a full blown 455. Just something I could pick up with the engine hoist , drop in , tune and go. No ripping , gutting , cutting , removing the AC welding . I've done it too many times and would like to enjoy this one for once.

Any ideas or suggestions would be great.
Well the easiest swap would be a Olds SB, anything else will be a custom fab nightmare. Either way your going to have to do a lot of modification, nothing is going to be a simple bolt in set up. Going to a 455 would be out of the question if you didn't want to do all kinds of custom work, not to mention all the drivetrain modication that you would need to have done to accomidate the BB.

ryanwitski

Master Mechanic
Nov 5, 2006
OH
I agree go with the small block. I would go with the carb setup too for ease. less milage but alot easier!

joe_padavano

Royal Smart Person
Sep 13, 2006
Northern VA
The problem here is that the car currently has a Buick V6, not an Olds motor. A Buick V8 would be a bolt-in. The Olds motor swap (which I agree is the better choice) requires motor and frame mounts from a 307.

joe_padavano

Royal Smart Person
Sep 13, 2006
Northern VA
More on 83 Olds Cutlass Engine swaps

Chevyman85 said:
Well the easiest swap would be a Olds SB, anything else will be a custom fab nightmare. Either way your going to have to do a lot of modification, nothing is going to be a simple bolt in set up. Going to a 455 would be out of the question if you didn't want to do all kinds of custom work, not to mention all the drivetrain modication that you would need to have done to accomidate the BB.

OK, this isn't entirely correct. Since the 307 was optional in the G-body Cutlass, that WOULD be a bolt-in if you got the correct frame and motor mounts (plus the accessory brackets that go with the Olds motor, since the V6 is different).

Of course, ALL Olds small blocks are externally identical, so if a 307 is a bolt-in, so is a 350 or 403 Olds. You will need to beef the trans to accommodate either engine, though it's easy to get a properly beefed 200-4R. Exhaust manifolds are interchangeable for all small block Olds motors, so just use the 307 manifolds or headers.

A 455 can be installed, but you will need to do some modifications to the A/C box to clear the valve cover. The 455 bolts in with the 307 mounts. You will need to have exhaust pipes custom bent to reach the big block manifolds. The 455 is about 1 1/2" taller than the small block Olds, but you can use a low profile Toronado intake manifold for a little extra hood clearance - or a hood scoop.

The important question is do you need to be smog legal? The 307 was the only Olds motor offered that year and anything else is technically illegal. You can easily dress a 350 or 403 to look like a 307, so you can pass the visual inspection and the feedback Qjet can be rejetted to feed the larger motor. The big block looks very similar to a small block Olds, so depending on how good the inspector is, you can probably get that one passed as well. Of course, if you don't need emissions testing, this is not a problem.

edmck82

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 13, 2006
Washington DC
Re: More on 83 Olds Cutlass Engine swaps

joe_padavano said:
Chevyman85 said:

OK, this isn't entirely correct. Since the 307 was optional in the G-body Cutlass, that WOULD be a bolt-in if you got the correct frame and motor mounts (plus the accessory brackets that go with the Olds motor, since the V6 is different).

Of course, ALL Olds small blocks are externally identical, so if a 307 is a bolt-in, so is a 350 or 403 Olds. You will need to beef the trans to accommodate either engine, though it's easy to get a properly beefed 200-4R. Exhaust manifolds are interchangeable for all small block Olds motors, so just use the 307 manifolds or headers.

A 455 can be installed, but you will need to do some modifications to the A/C box to clear the valve cover. The 455 bolts in with the 307 mounts. You will need to have exhaust pipes custom bent to reach the big block manifolds. The 455 is about 1 1/2" taller than the small block Olds, but you can use a low profile Toronado intake manifold for a little extra hood clearance - or a hood scoop.

The important question is do you need to be smog legal? The 307 was the only Olds motor offered that year and anything else is technically illegal. You can easily dress a 350 or 403 to look like a 307, so you can pass the visual inspection and the feedback Qjet can be rejetted to feed the larger motor. The big block looks very similar to a small block Olds, so depending on how good the inspector is, you can probably get that one passed as well. Of course, if you don't need emissions testing, this is not a problem.

Thanks for all the info.

Joe,

Totally correct in saying it is a Buick V6. The crate engine I had installed was a souped up V6 . I ran into a ton of problems because of non-existent smog controls, EGR etc. From what you guys are telling me I think the Olds 307 might be the way to go.

Stock Olds 307 HP #'s

I'd like to go with something that would produce 220+HP(and thats just a ball park figure). My lincoln runs around 310-320HP , awesome 302 but burns entirely too much fuel with the laundry list of modifications.

As far as the legality of the engine, I want to stay as close to a bolt on application as possible that would adapt with factory vacuum lines , smog etc. the souped Buick V6 had none of the lesser.

Theres a few places in the N.VA/DC area that offer performance built engines. I'm just trying to rap my finger around the best way to go about restoring this car. A side of me wants to yank the engine/transmission address any frame/body/undercarriage rust and than install the power train.

Engine ideas?
Restoration ideas? --? is this the best way to go about it ?

Cheers

~edward

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO

joe_padavano said:

No! :D You don't need to do all of that. An Olds 455 will go right in with all of the A/C housing intact, and will fit under the hood just fine. When I was still in high school, and my dad owned the GP403, its first engine transplant after the diesel came out was a 455. (Actually it had about 3 different 455's!)

The stock A/C box is still intact and we didn't have to do any hood chopping or low-profile anything on top to get it to fit. I can't recall what we did w/ the exhaust but I don't recall there being anything special there, but I could be wrong. Agreed though that going Olds->Olds would be easiest since everything would be in the right place and your accessories should just bolt up.

edmck82

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 13, 2006
Washington DC

GP403 said:
joe_padavano said:

No! :D You don't need to do all of that. An Olds 455 will go right in with all of the A/C housing intact, and will fit under the hood just fine. When I was still in high school, and my dad owned the GP403, its first engine transplant after the diesel came out was a 455. (Actually it had about 3 different 455's!)

The stock A/C box is still intact and we didn't have to do any hood chopping or low-profile anything on top to get it to fit. I can't recall what we did w/ the exhaust but I don't recall there being anything special there, but I could be wrong. Agreed though that going Olds->Olds would be easiest since everything would be in the right place and your accessories should just bolt up.

Thanks for the info. What about stock HP numbers ?

Olds 307 , 350 , 455 ?

jerrycad472

Master Mechanic
Nov 11, 2006
Detroit, MI
Small Block Chevy is easy too.

My first engine swap as a 70 sbc into an 81 regal that had a 3.8 Buick V6. It was pretty straight forward if I remember correctly (It was 20 years ago when I was 17) I had a small block that had all of the accessories and a TH350 with the chevy bell housing. I just had to buy the chevy engine mounts like what was used from the factory on a 305 Monte Carlo. I used the same transmission cross member from the 3.8. Same driveshaft without any modifications.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor