84 ELK in California

Status
Not open for further replies.

84calelky

Apprentice
Nov 20, 2018
Motor is pretty good ,make good power 3500 >
I had to keep the CCC carb and smog equipment being in California . That has proven to be a headache as the low vacuum the 290 hp makes . I get 16 Hg when it's rated at 12Hg per GM . so Computer is trying to adjust for the low Vacuum .
I am currently looking into the MSD Atomic EFI , as it is smog legal and would eliminate the factory ECU .
but still researching that .
Hows your 350/290 ? did you keep the factory Carb etc ?

Reactions: 1 user

Michael Watts

Master Mechanic
Dec 12, 2017
I have an Eldelbrock 600 cfm carb on it,With a 1979 HEI distributor. Flow Tech "shorty" headers with 2 1/4 true dual exhaust.with Flowmaster 3 chamber mufflers ,7 1/4 rear end with 3;73 gears. I get close to 20 mpg. And when I had to pass emissions it passed easily. I understand your "fun" in California >I was stationed in the mid 1970`s to early 80` at MCRD San Deigo Camp Pendleton ,MCAS (H) Tustin ,MCAS El Toro .while in the Marine Corps. .How are you doing with all the fires down there ? I had some experience when I was there.

84calelky

Apprentice
Nov 20, 2018
California smog is a P.I.T.A. from what i have read the MSD efi plus a MSD ignition and MSD dizzy is the only real solution to running a 350/290 .

I am a good 100 miles North of all the Fires , I know I few people that it got real close to . but luckily no losses .

Happy Thanksgiving

jiho

Royal Smart Person
Jul 26, 2013
Just looked at the CARB "EO" for the MSD. Had not heard. A welcome option for us Denizens of the Deep!

EDIT: Of course I don't find any instructions for achieving smog compliance with it. I assume at a minimum you'd need the stock smog pump and air cleaner.

Last edited:

CaliWagon83

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2017
Orange County, CA
Yeah. Basically anything attached to the engine that isn’t factory has to have a CARB EO number for ‘75 or newer models. Sucks, but dems da rules out here in Left Coast paradise. :rolleyes:

jiho

Royal Smart Person
Jul 26, 2013
The smog pump you can kind of understand, since the cat is dual bed and requires the pump for proper operation. But the ThermAC air cleaner seems a bit nit-picky given the climate, all the more so since you are free to ditch the EFE valve (or grid, if so equipped).

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor