84 hurst

Status
Not open for further replies.

83hurst-olds

G-Body Guru
Oct 19, 2010
near Oklahoma City, OK
riviera274 said:
the previous owner said that they had it touched up and recleared but i do body work and could tell that it has had a repaint(little overspray here and there).im gonna paint it back the original color when they get thru building the motor.my mechanic says that he tried to order a mild cam but says that the cams that he looked at can not be installed cause of the computer.do any of you guys know of one that will?

The factory Vin9 cam is pretty good. You will run into breathing issues with the heads long before running into computer issues IMHO.

442_olds

Apprentice
Dec 10, 2010
88hurstolds said:
Don't touch it, stock rebuild and leave it at that.
It seams that everyone starts pulling these apart as soon as they get one.
A fully numbers matching Hurst is VERY RARE, many are boogered up by asshats.
It's a 307, not much you can do so don't try to go nuts with it. Headers aren't gonna do a whole lot, again it's a 307 not a fire breathing dragon.
Just rebuild it and the trans and it will be fast, my 83 Hurst Olds is pretty quick and it's all stock.
If you want to go fast then drive the other one, Oldsmobiles were marketed as Gentelman's cars, Cruisers at that...

I agree with 88hurstolds, don't mess with it. You have a very nice vehicle there, and it is very rare. Keep it stock, and as original as possible. What makes this car worth more than most cars of that era is the package. They only made 3500 or so of these cars, and there are not that many left today. If you keep it original, it will be worth much more in the future. That's what I am trying to do with my '87 442...keep it as original as possible. You will be happy you did down the road.

riviera274

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 26, 2011
i ran into a problem,lightning rods are not working,main shifter shifting fine but the other 2 will not move,have anyone else had this problem?

riviera274

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 26, 2011
yes,i know you have to pull the first shifter all the way down,the other 2 wont move,im gonna get my mechanic to look at them after they put the engine in.

88hurstolds

Royal Smart Person
Jun 24, 2008
Does the button go down on the second rod?
If it does and it won't move it's due to the weld on the pin being busted and the square guide/channel pin being stuck up and not moving down to mitigate through the U channel thus keeping the lever from moving.
Very common problem.
Time for a rebuild, pull the pin and weld it or find a parts shifter.
Sometimes this issue is from the cable from being worn and stretched but that usually affects the 4th to 3rd shift or the 2nd to 1st shift since 3rd will line up the shifter cam with 2nd gear.

riviera274

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 26, 2011
the button on the #2 rod will not move,im just getting a chance to play with it.just put the engine,in should be ready to roll in a few days

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor