84 SS brake light switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021
Same here, '84 SS with no brake lights at all, pressed or idling... Daily driver...

Worked fine (except one) before I removed the original bulbs... Bought LED lights that wasn't compatible and was told to rock the old school bulbs so I now have old school bulbs and still no tail or brake or turn light action...

Going to check the brake light switch and run down the ground wire in the morning... Where is the brake light switch on this year and model ? I know it's attached somewhere on the brake pedal, but I wouldn't know what to see or how to look at it if I seen it lol.

Is it the white piece pictured in the comments, or is that only for cruise control ?

Any lead way is appreciated.

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
Brake light switch is mounted on pedal assembly bracket. There might be more switches or more terminals for cruise control etc.

The brake lights will have an orange wire coming in with 12V from stop-haz Fuse and a white wire going out. White wire goes to the turn signal switch connector (long single row connector on steering column).

Coming out of the turn signal connector is a yellow and green wire. These go to the rear of car wiring harness, there is a plug on the side of the dash before the harness goes into the wiring loom under the sill plate (driver side).

Yellow is left
Green is right

Check for 12V at both sides of the fuse, check for 12V at orange wire at switch connector. Depress pedal and make sure plunger is fully released (plunger closed is off position plunger open is on) check for 12V on both sides of the white wire at TS switch connector with pedal depressed . Check for 12V on yellow and green wire coming out of TS switch connector with pedal depressed.

Use something jammed between the seat and the brake pedal to hold pedal down and check for 12V at yellow and green wires in back of car.

Attachments

• brake light switch.jpg
    brake light switch.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

ck1984

Apprentice
Sep 19, 2021
this is the kinda thread i like, extremely helpful. pic are a bonus too!
googled a speciific question, it pointed me straight here to this forum, this exact thread, and solved my dilemma in 1 minute
NOW THATS VALUE!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor