84 SS Update, Lowered, Wheels, Big Brakes ....

Status
Not open for further replies.

UpstateNYer

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 9, 2008
Finally lowered the car, installed new bushings, balljoints..... LS1 Camaro front brakes.....17" Torq-Thrust II's. 3" in the front, 2" in the rear and new Bilstiens all around. 😀

normal_Monte_001_%28Medium%29.jpg

normal_Monte_002_%28Medium%29.jpg
[/img]

Did Robert set you up on those?

Actually I work for a performance brake distributor, so I made the hubs and brackets. Then I just ordered the rest of the parts through work.

Did you trim your lower bumbstops?

On the Monte I'm not running any since I have tubular lower ca's. On the Malibu I did not trim them, no bottoming out on them so far.

The LS1 brake setup is the best bang for the buck IMO. Any plans for rear discs?

I got your PM but I'll answer you here... My tie rods on the Monte are level, I just replaced them all this weekend. I haven't had an alignment yet, but that shouldn't change their angle.

You're still using the g-body spindles right?

jonnyslick said:
UpstateNYer said:
Finally lowered the car, installed new bushings, balljoints..... LS1 Camaro front brakes.....17" Torq-Thrust II's. 3" in the front, 2" in the rear and new Bilstiens all around. 😀

normal_Monte_001_%28Medium%29.jpg

normal_Monte_002_%28Medium%29.jpg
[/img]

Oh man that looks amazing. What springs did you use there?

OPG 3" Front and 2" Rear, like Tony SS suggested.

Tony_SS said:
On the Monte I'm not running any since I have tubular lower ca's. On the Malibu I did not trim them, no bottoming out on them so far.

The LS1 brake setup is the best bang for the buck IMO. Any plans for rear discs?

I got your PM but I'll answer you here... My tie rods on the Monte are level, I just replaced them all this weekend. I haven't had an alignment yet, but that shouldn't change their angle.

Yeah, stock spindles but the tie rods still do angle up. I will try to take a picture. As for the bumpstops, they are about 3/8-1/2" away from the frame but that could be quiet a bit of upward travel out at the wheel.

As for rear discs, maybe in the future I have to get rid of this 305 first.

UpstateNYer said:
Tony_SS said:

Yeah, stock spindles but the tie rods still do angle up. I will try to take a picture. As for the bumpstops, they are about 3/8-1/2" away from the frame but that could be quiet a bit of upward travel out at the wheel.

As for rear discs, maybe in the future I have to get rid of this 305 first.

I'll take a couple shots of of the front end on the Monte and Malibu to compare notes.

You still have the stock upper and lower arms I'm assuming? Have you put it on the rack to check the alignment after the spring install? Ideally an SC&C stage 1 would compliment the drop springs and allow for better than stock alignment specs.

On my Malibu, I'm running the stock arms and after the drop it appears to have more neg camber just from the drop itself, but still drives and handles straight.

I'm rockin the 305 in my Malibu... plan is to build up a bullet proof slot car like suspension, then add power to the wheels. :twisted:

We did it at a buddies shop and put it right on the rack. Camber is set at -.5, caster 4 I believe and .15 degrees of toe in.

da*n that thing looks nice! i love white on a ss, hell any g body usually looks good in white! good job!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor