'85-'87 Hurst Grand Prix????

Status
Not open for further replies.

pose_442

Greasemonkey
Feb 12, 2007
Found this picture and article in High Performance Pontiac (July 2002).

80sHurstGrandPrixSSJ.jpg

The article was written by Pete Curatolo & Thomas DeMauro. In short, it was "HPP's Hurst Grand Prix for the 80's". What if Pontiac picked up Hurst in 1985??

An unborn counterpart to the 442's, GN's and SS's of the day. The styling is obviously inspired by the Grand Prix SSJ's from '70-'72.

With Lauren Engineering carrying many of the parts for the '86-1/2 2+2, and some imagination, this could be one of those G-bodies that would make the smartest buffs say, "When was THIS built???"

If I had the financing, I'd build it myself. I hope this can inspire a GP owner out there. If so, send me pics!!!

averagewhiteboy

Master Mechanic
Jun 7, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
WOW! That's really sweet! If I had a 2+2, I'd look into that. That's something to build if you find a 2+2 in need of paint...

But yeah, the GP kinda got the boot back then. While the Monte SS, 442, Hurst/Old's, T-Type and Grand National got all the press, what'd the GP get? The 2+2. Woo. I personally like the GP's alot. I think they have the coolest interior out of any G body out there. The dash is dope. But as for special models, we didn't get sh*t. How about the ill-fated Grand Prix GT? There was only like 5 of them made.

That's what I like about my Grand Prix. At least around here, there's only 2 I've ever seen. They're a pretty rare car. Nice looking for the day, just overshadowed by the far more popular G body variations. So when I have a real nice GP in a few years, I can't wait to have someone pass my car at a car show and say "Damn, that Monte Carlo has a huge grille." Monte Carlo. Ha. Novice.

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
Aw, man! :D

That's nearly identical to an idea I had for a GP-based GTO Judge. I was (when I found the time, yeah right!) going to draw up something like that. Only I was going to draw up a custom "beak" nose (think '70 GTO) instead of the 2+2 nose. Not a big fan of the louvers on the 1/4 windows, but I guess if you look at the '70s Can Am it kinda fits. Wouldn't have called it a "GPH", I think "Hurst SS/J" would've been more appropriate. Still nice. :D

james_cambron

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 11, 2007
Nebraska
ok, you guys are probably going to want to slap me, but I have a few GP questions. First is the front end on this car only on the 2+2 cars. I know it is different from a normal GP front end in '85. second what designates it an ss/j. I get the ss part but not the J. Can you buy and use the 2+2 front end on a normal GP. I ask all this because, well I am stupid when it comes to the grand prix side of the gbody. I also have a friend that has a 86 grand prix and WAY too much money that would probably be interested in building a car like this. Leather interior? Also, what designates it a HURST. I know the shifter and the paint. What else? Ok, I am done. Commence to the beating.

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
Back in the musclecar heyday Hurst did a few "conversions" most notably the Cutlass, the Grand Prix and I think a couple Chrysler 300s. The Olds and Pontiacs were (if I remember) HO 455s with 4-speeds and the white/gold paint. They did a '73 or '74 Cutlass the same way, and of course the '79 w/ the 350, and the later Cutlass w/ the lightning rods. The cars got shipped off to Hurst for the transformations.

Yeah, that front end was *only ever* on the '86 2+2. The 'J' comes from the old '70-'72 Grand Prix model 'J' and 'SSJ.' (I just threw that in! :D )

Here's a link w/ info on the SS/J and Hurst GP's, you'll have to scroll on down a ways.

http://www.classicalpontiac.com/gp/index.html

Makes you wonder what engine Hurst would have used in '86. Just the MCSS 305? Did the Firebirds/Camaros have the 5.7 TPI's yet in '86? I know they did later on....

Did that article say if Hurst was actually considering this or if its just somebody's big "What if?" pipe dream? :D

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
RedHotRegal said:
you forgot the AMC's. Didn't Hurst have a hand in the Rambler's and AMX's?

Ohhh yeaaahhh :D

They're so easy to forget though! (ducks) But yeah I think there were a few of those as well. Got no info on those, though. For some reason 'SSC' is coming to mind now that you mention it.

RedHotRegal

Master Mechanic
Mar 26, 2006
Ontario, Canada
I just remember the Rambler was White with Blue or red hood and blue or red stripe along the sides. They were ugly ducklings but would still love to have one. One of my fav. cars is a Gremlin. I've always wanted one since I was a kid. One of my old neighbors had one that was souped up when I was about 5/6 I think thats why I like them. He also had a T bucket that I would burn my hands on the side pipes all the time. I love shiny things :oops: .

cokeman118

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 21, 2007
I bought that issue of High Performance Pontiac back then in 2002 just for that article. That write up made me want to buy another Grand Prix and make one just like that. I still may do something like that, since my GP was stolen 8 years ago I would open up that article and wish I still had my GP. I'm still looking, but I'm kind of torn now as far as style goes. I would definatly paint it black, with gold trim, however I really love the chrome on regular GP's. If I were to do this project, I think I might have to keep the chrome on the car, makes it look more old school :) Of course I have to have T-Tops on my GP...it just gives it more style in my opinion

I love the regular 2+2 spoiler as well, too bad it was actually molded into the rear decklid...no aftermarket either. I guess I'll have to settle for a thirdgen firebird spoiler.

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Hurst did the SC Ramblers back in the late '60s. Basically, it was a 2 door Rambler American with a 390ci AMC engine, rated at 315hp, with a 4 speed transmission (with a Hurst shifter, naturally). These cars had 2 different red, white & blue paint schemes. There was also a larger Rambler (I think the model was called a Classic, not sure), that was decked out as a high performance car that was called "The Machine". I think I have that issue of HPP here at home-I remember that drawing. It is a good looking car. I like the twin scoop hood. It would be neat to see someone build it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor