'85-'87 Hurst Grand Prix????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Hurst had it's hands in several AMC cars in the 1960's. The best known ones were the S/C Ramblers of 1969, otherwise known as Scramblers. They were built in 3 seperate runs and 2 paint schemes, the A and the rarer B scheme which was more toned down. 1512 were built. Then there was the SS/AMX, of which 52 were built. These were basically factory race cars in the same vein of the Hemi Darts and Barracudas of 1968. They all came with mechanical tach drive distributors, functional hoodscoops feeding 2 660 Holleys on a crossram intake, headers, weight reduction, ported heads, and the rear wheelwells were cut out for slicks. They came with 4.44:1 rear gears and a Hurst shifted T-10. I don't remember if an automatic was available. Paint was either red, white and blue ( performed by an outside shop on cars that started out white) or solid white. AMC even sent a styling update kit to those who had the cars to make them look like 1970 models ( Javelins and AMX's had a mild facelift for 1970 before the styling change of 1971). Some even had a rare front crosmember that dropped out in the center to make pan removal easier. I may have missed something, but it's all I can remember. Hurs supposedly also had a hand in the 1970 Rebel Machine, but there is no badging to prove it. Another interesting note is that Hurst was the OEM supplier of shifters for AMX's and Javelins.Oh, and Hurst also did a very rare Hurst version of the 1971 Jeepster Commando. Jeep, as you probably know, was owned by AMC after it purchased the company from Kaiser in 1970 (?) when it decided to concentrate it's efforts in Argentinian automotive production and left the US market.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor