85 el camino rear end swap..please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

383Camino

Master Mechanic
Mar 1, 2006
South Dakota
Where did you find a Monte SS rear with 3.73s for that price?? Is it an 8.5?? My searches yield nearly a grand for something like that.

hddave1

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 14, 2008
there is a place about 1hr away from me called blue grass auto parts. in lexington ky. 1-800-432-0730

383Camino

Master Mechanic
Mar 1, 2006
South Dakota
Is it in drop-in-and-run condition though?? I guess that would be a better question.

hddave1

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 14, 2008
well what this guy told me was it would be ready to bolt in but there is only a 60 day warrenty.. i figure i'll need to put brake lines on it and change the rearend grease but im hoping its just a plug and play..you might want to call them and just ask about there rear end assemblys ..if i go get one im going to have it checked out at a local shop but the guy did say there shouldnt be anything wrong with them..i think you can even find out how many miles are on them but you might want to call about that though..

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
why not remove the cover on the diff....you'd want to change the oil anyway and you'll be able to see if there was any problems with it by checking the wear on the gears and check what's on the magnet..

hddave1

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 14, 2008
yea i will have the rearend i buy checked out first

gpguy

Greasemonkey
Aug 17, 2008
just for anybody i checked out blue grass auto parts in kentucky you can geta possi for a 100 bucks for g-body....thats a steal for us rust belt guys :lol:

Rootbeer

n00b
Oct 19, 2008
I bought a 10 bolt out of a Monte SS with 3.73 gears and an Eaton Posi off Ebay. I installed it on Tuesday. Other than my rear u-joint falling apart when removed, the job was absolute gravy. Definitely a drop-in situation!

Camino_kid

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 29, 2009
dallas tx.
rear and help

Whats up every one?i have 1980 el camino this is my 1st time building a street car.im about to pull the v6 thats in it now and drop a 383 stroker crate motor with a 350 turbo transmission but be for i do that i aready rebuilt all the front end now im stuck in the rear not knowing what rear to put in it.NOTE i want to be able to drive this car out of town at least able to drive 300-500 miles with out over heating that rear end.i also want a lil launch in it just in case a ford happens to pull up next to me :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor