85 Monte Carlo SC Aftermarket Air Cleaner Assembly

Jul 26, 2024
I have a 1985 Monte Carlo SC with the 4.3L TBI motor and I was looking to put an open air cleaner on it. Its purely for looks, I'm not after performance. I want to keep the original engine in there (the car has sentimental value so I don't want to change much).
I've been looking online but haven't found anything on how to swap the stock ACA for an open one. People on Reddit told me I was silly for wanting to do this, but all I want to do is make it look nicer when you pop the hood. Has anyone in here done a swap like this? If so, what all will I need? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Just stick with the stock air cleaner. Open air cleaners have several issues.

Reactions: 1 users
It's not silly to want to mod your car. It's only silly when you just start throwing parts and/or money at it without first having a plan or goal.

OPTION: take your stock air cleaner lid and get it chromed. Find a local motorcycle shop and ask them who does good chrome work and go with them. I find that the motorcycle crowd is super-picky about their chrome work.

OR- you could find a spare lid and have it chromed...OR- Find a chrome lid that would fit your stock air cleaner.

I agree with Clone TIE Pilot about too many pitfalls with an open element air cleaner. If properly set up for one, fine. But just popping it on a stock CCC engine probably isn't a great idea, functionally.

Reactions: 2 users
I am all about modifying my cars but in your situation keeping your stock V6 I would probably just detail the engine bay by cleaning and painting anything that needs it and possibly replace your coolant overflow and washer fluid jugs if they are yellowed and old looking,
I kind of feel even a chrome lid would look out of place being there is very little shiny stuff in a stock engine bay.

Reactions: 1 user
it think a good clean and detail on any engine bay is a nice touch on any vehicle. 565bbc's rite about new fluid jug's,they're tough to try and clean inside and those repop's are good.if there isn't a chroming option in your area,as an alternative to having your current lid chromed is having it powdercoated.there's some pretty bright powders out there now and it's a durable coating.

Reactions: 1 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor