85 SS 305 to 350 swap... ignition upgrades??

Status
Not open for further replies.

6bolt4g63

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 19, 2007
MD
Hey, im pretty much new to domestic cars(performance wise) and i have a stock 85 SS. The stock 305 is being replaced with a brand new GM stock 350. I was wondering what engine ignition components i will need to replace, or if all the stock 305 stuff will work? Im replacing the waterpump. I was planning on upgrading or just stock replacing the distributor/cap/rotor/wires and plugs I was online at JEGS and didnt know what brand/style kit to use. Im not pushing high horsepower, but since the engine is fresh, i want some decent ignition components. Basically im looking for a good igntion setup to go with. Any ideas?? Thanks.

78mali350

Royal Smart Person
May 13, 2007
Pratt, KS
we just went from a 305 to a new crate 350 and we didn't do anything but the distributer with a new cap. i don't know if it would be any different for you though since your car is newer :?

6bolt4g63

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 19, 2007
MD
78mali350 said:
we just went from a 305 to a new crate 350 and we didn't do anything but the distributer with a new cap. i don't know if it would be any different for you though since your car is newer :?

Yea i was just gonna replace the distributor and some MSD wires, but than i heard some info about needing to replace the ICM or ESC cause its a 350.

78mali350

Royal Smart Person
May 13, 2007
Pratt, KS
ya got me there eh i don't know i think our old car didn't have that sorry man someone else will chime in with some help i am sure

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
It all depends on weather or not you have the stock computer, and which GM 350 you plan to use. If you have the GM computer, you need to retain the computer HEI ignition, but can upgrade the plugs, cap/rotor, coil etc. If you are running a Goodwrench 350 with 7.8:1 compression and an ultra mild cam, you should be able to just transfer over all of the 305 pieces and it will be fine. If it is a good 350, it will run it's best with a few upgrades to the carb and computer.Try a set of AH rods and a G hanger in the computer Q jet's secondary side. This is easy to do with only a small torx screwdriver and does not require disassembly of the carb. I say this because it is the calibration change that GM recommended with the original ZZ1 crate engine swap into a G code F body with a carb. It also included a new chip for the ECU.

6bolt4g63

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 19, 2007
MD
85 Cutlass Brougham said:
It all depends on weather or not you have the stock computer, and which GM 350 you plan to use. If you have the GM computer, you need to retain the computer HEI ignition, but can upgrade the plugs, cap/rotor, coil etc. If you are running a Goodwrench 350 with 7.8:1 compression and an ultra mild cam, you should be able to just transfer over all of the 305 pieces and it will be fine. If it is a good 350, it will run it's best with a few upgrades to the carb and computer.Try a set of AH rods and a G hanger in the computer Q jet's secondary side. This is easy to do with only a small torx screwdriver and does not require disassembly of the carb. I say this because it is the calibration change that GM recommended with the original ZZ1 crate engine swap into a G code F body with a carb. It also included a new chip for the ECU.

Everything is stock as far as i know, crate 350 part # 10067353. This is my daily driver/cruiser and im not planning for heavy mods in the future. My car is carburated factory.

Thanks.

82355supreme

Greasemonkey
May 16, 2006
Wisconsin
Scrap ALL the computer B.S., you don't need any of it. Get yourself a good MSD HEI distributor (Streetfire $160) & you're set.

You should also get a different carb. If you want to keep using a Q-Jet, find a non-electric one. But for all intensive perposes, get a Holley or Demon 650.

85t5mcss

Master Mechanic
Apr 24, 2006
Indy, IN
If u need to follow emissions rules, then u have to keep all the emissions parts to pass visual and possibly the sniffer test. Find this out first. If u don't have emissions, then u can get rid of that stuff for performance reasons, but don't have to. I didn't check the specs on the 350, but all the 305 parts will swap over if u bought an engine with the standard style heads, not Vortec. The only recomendation I can make is to change the knock sensor on the bottom of the engine right above the oil pan to a Camaro 5.7L knock sensor. 305 and 350s have different harmonics to the engines and the 305 knock sensor will retard the timing a little more when it shouldn't.

Sounds like its time for an Aluminum intake as well and emission headers. A little more power plus weight savings is a win/win situation.

6bolt4g63

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 19, 2007
MD
Thanks for the help everyone. Looks like im good to go. Since i have historic tags and i wont be tested for emissions im gonna yank out some emissions components... EGR, thermo sensor, air pump, fuel canister and thats about it. Ill keep everyone posted, thanks.

85t5mcss

Master Mechanic
Apr 24, 2006
Indy, IN
Keep the charcoal canister thats up front. Just run the gas tenk vent on it only. Won't affect driveability and it just keeps the air a little cleaner. Not to mention u won't smell fuel driving down the road. Be sure to keep a PCV valve also. The other valve cover u can run a breather or the original tube to air cleaner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor