85 SS, Where to start??

Status
Not open for further replies.

bowtietillidie85SS

Greasemonkey
Mar 26, 2010
Jackson Ms
Ok guys, i have had my SS since January and am ready to start making some progress on what i want to do with it, It is my daily driver so im not talking frame off here we go kind of deal, there are some things i would like to get done though and i need some input on "where to start"? Here is a list of things i want to get done in no particular order, Now my budget is about 4-500 a month give or take depends on how much i want to work but average shoud be around 4-500.

New paint, base/clear white, paint is ok now but has bubbles,chips,peeling and not real presentable up close even though i get 100 compliments a week.

New exhaust, i currently have 2.5 from headers back dumped at axles with flowmaster 40's, i want it ran all the way out the back or in front of rear tires.

New rims and tires, maybe some soft 8's 10in rear 8in in front.

clean up engine bay, get rid of computer crap, and ac box.

Lower it some where around 2in

New shifter, B&M, hurst etc etc

outside window felt

tint windows

Ok so that is what i would like to get done fairly soon, My thoughts were paint first, rims/tires second, spend the most $$ up front but i dont know, i dove balls deep in my 68 chevelle and it turned into a nightmare and i dont what that in this one. ANY input would be great guys! Thanks!

i forgot to mention about the paint, rust free car so rotting out is not a concern here. the only thing i would say "had" to get done is window felt. tires are good and mechanically sound drivetrain.

ok, here's my thoughts

do the windo felts before you do the tints
Lower it before the new wheels and tires

everything else can be done when ever. I would probably wait on the paint till last, especially if you lower it and need to roll the fenders.

but thats just my thought

i would say get the window felt done first since it has to be done.

i would save about half of your monthly budget on a paint job that you can get done over the winter.

id buy your lowering springs first, then buy your wheels (btw i like the choice with the soft 8's)

get your exhuast done next, and tint the windows.

then do the rest inbetween

Great idea on the saving half of my budget towards paint/winter. Im going exhaust/window felt this month and opening a new savings account to prepare for paint.

Window felts will just have come back off for paint... might as well wait till it's painted.

It's hard when your daily driver and your project car are the same thing.

I'd buy a $500 beater and take the car apart and paint it if it were me.

well we also have a 08 impala but the wife also works so it would be hit or miss. tearing it down for paint would be more realistic maybe next year.and i cant leave the felts on there now for that long they really arent even there at all? chunks missing. so putting them on now and taking off later really is not a big deal.

2.5 inch exhaust installed today 4-8-10, will post pics when i can. cant believe how quiet it is now!

i like to hear its your daily driver. My 87 is my daily driver and compliments never stop coming with it.. save up for paint. go to paintforcars.com and look at there paint its affordable

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor