85 SS wipers stay on after using high or low speed on switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

DmcL

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 30, 2014
As above. The wipers keep going for a while after turning the stalk switch off. If I use the intermittent setting they are fine but on lo or hi they keep going for maybe 5 minutes or until I completely shut the car off.

Is it the switch that's probably causing the issue?

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Re: 85 SS wipers stay on after using high or low speed on sw

I had a similar problem with my Olds Ciera. I ended up replacing the delay/ pulse circuit board in the wiper motor. That cured it.
However, I'm going to need one for my wagon, which has newer type delay wiper motor and switch. Otherwise It seems to work okay, but doesn't turn off.
I don't know if they're available for our cars. The one for my Ciera was not available anywhere, but the junkyard.

DmcL

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 30, 2014

Are there many different variants of the board or will any g body one do?

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl

I'm sure there' s a variance between the old style wiper motor and the new type, which would mean that the delay boards would vary in shape and size.

If anyone knows of a source for a delay/ pulse board for the later type G-body wiper motor, I'd be interested.

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ

mine would get wonky like that when it would rain. I took the motor off, then apart. Cleaned the board and the ground strap. Put it back together and it worked fine for a couple more years.

DmcL

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 30, 2014

Cool. Was thinking about cleaning it up to see if that helped at all. Might give that a try.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor