Status
Not open for further replies.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013

Silent viewer

Royal Smart Person
May 9, 2007
I hear a lot of great stuff about the Holley Dominator and X Terminator, etc. ECU's but on the other hand I've heard a lot of arguments in favor of keeping it OEM. Ease of setup and tuning are the two big plus sides I've heard about the Holley stuff. The thing I think is cool is the fuel quality sensors that will automatically adjust timing and fueling for optimal performance be it pump gas, race gas, E85, or some concoction of them blended in the tank. That is a super cool feature. I think it was an AEM standalone in a MKIV Supra I saw with a similar feature, and a screen on the dash was calculating octane on the fly as the guy was filling his tank from pump gas to E85 and making changes to the tune automatically. Pretty damn slick.

I was more referring to holleys mounting system, exhaust and accessory brackets. I am using FItech on my setup for now, I picked up a self tuning ultimate ls setup complete for 1000 bucks that had a low profile intake, injectors and harness. by the time I added up the cost of a factory reworked harness, a used F body intake, rails and injectors plus a tune, I would have had probably double the cost of a self tuning setup. Time will tell if it is worth a crap or not, it seems to have great feed back in N/A setups. If I pull the trigger on a turbo, I may go holley but that is down the road, who knows what will be on the market by then.

Reactions: 1 user

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
Don't you need a capable PCM? I don't know all the nomenclatures.... (E36, E42, etc....)

An E38 is very capable but not required. We used a run of the mill service #12586242 ECM which GM used across several platforms including cars, suv's and trucks.

1555598247894.png

Last edited:
  • Informative

kornball426

Royal Smart Person
May 29, 2009
Philadelphia, PA.
I was more referring to holleys mounting system, exhaust and accessory brackets. I am using FItech on my setup for now, I picked up a self tuning ultimate ls setup complete for 1000 bucks that had a low profile intake, injectors and harness. by the time I added up the cost of a factory reworked harness, a used F body intake, rails and injectors plus a tune, I would have had probably double the cost of a self tuning setup. Time will tell if it is worth a crap or not, it seems to have great feed back in N/A setups. If I pull the trigger on a turbo, I may go holley but that is down the road, who knows what will be on the market by then.

The intake manifold prices for LS engines make me cringe... The mounts I have are dirty dingo, I don't have any of the aftermarket accessory brackets. I think I'd rather notch the frame if I feel the need to have air conditioning, the Holley brackets look like they locate the AC compressor right were I'd be looking to either mount a turbo, or run hotside plumbing. For an NA setup though they look like the perfect solution to keep all the accessories. Just from the pics I've seen.

kornball426

Royal Smart Person
May 29, 2009
Philadelphia, PA.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan

kornball426

Royal Smart Person
May 29, 2009
Philadelphia, PA.
Junk.

The factory intakes work perfectly fine for most applications.
I don't know if it's junk or if there is any evidence to support that statement... However the price is insane I think we can all agree on that. But certainly much more aesthetically pleasing than the hideous truck manifolds.

The Corvette/Camaro/gto, etc. Manifolds aren't bad looking but so much harder to find than a truck motor for cheap, and from what I've seen in articles/tests the ugly truck manifolds perform as well or better than the car manifolds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor