442 86 442 307 v8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bills442olds

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 14, 2023
While cruising at a steady speed, I am getting a surge that lasts a few seconds only. The engine is speeding up and the tach move 500 rpm or so. Does it sound like a quadrajet issue or is it possibly an issue with cruise control (which does not work) or transmission downshifting?

It could be the lock up torque converter, locking and unlocking, depending on the speed.

Reactions: Bills442olds
Welcome.

What he said is where I'd put my money first. Could also be a vacuum leak. And possibly 100 other little things that could drive you insane digging for it.

It is probably the solenoid itself sticking. You have to drop the pan to change it.

Reactions: Bills442olds
First, try crawling under and unplugging the connector on the transmission. Drive around and see if the surging is still there. (It won't lock up.) This may cause the check engine light to go on, but that's an easier check before you dig into the pan.

First, try crawling under and unplugging the connector on the transmission. Drive around and see if the surging is still there. (It won't lock up.) This may cause the check engine light to go on, but that's an easier check before you dig into the pan

First, try crawling under and unplugging the connector on the transmission. Drive around and see if the surging is still there. (It won't lock up.) This may cause the check engine light to go on, but that's an easier check before you dig into the pan.
Awesome will try this first

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor