86 Cutlass overheated (I think), and now won't start

Audio96

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 10, 2014
Decided to run the cutlass in the garage for a bit, since it's been about 3 months.
Was running great ... went inside .. and forgot it was running. Maybe 30 minutes or so.
Came out it it wasn't running. I noticed that the temp gauge was real high. Over 220. Didn't hear anything sizzling. Let it cool down a couple hours and tried to restart. Just cranks.
I put some extra gas in the tank, just to make sure it didn't run out of gas.
I tried using some starting fluid and a little gas in the carb ... nothing. Just cranks. I'm guessing it's an electrical issue?
ANY IDEAS would be great. Pretty sure it overheated, but it didn't blow a hose.
Not sure where to start.

Thought?

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
Just a guess, check the distributor for spark. I would suspect the ignition module gave it up in the heat.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

pizza442

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 9, 2017
Only time that has happened to me was in my 79 H/O; thermostat was sticking and it ran hot a few times 'till I changed it. Shortly afterwards it wouldn't restart, just turned over and over and sounded a bit different like it was turning over just a bit faster. The timing chain had sheered the gears. I suppose the nylon caps finally weakened/loosened enough that the chain just pulled them right off after the car cooled down or enough of them had fallen off by that point...

Reactions: 1 users

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
Assuming no puddles underneath? So basically just go through steps of crank-no-start.

You tried the old tried and true method of starting fluid and no start... So that points to lack of spark. Try a timing light and see if you get it to strobe. Or pull #1 and put a spare spark plug in it, ground it and see if you have spark.

As ELCAM said, the weak link in HEI is the module. See if your local parts store can test it. Where I am, O'Reilly's has the machine, I take mine there.

There is no reason a typical car in good health can't idle for 30 minutes or more. If it got hot enough to seize, typically will restart after everything cools down. You can put a camera down spark plug hole and check for damage.

Once you figure cause of no start, the next would be figuring the cause of the over heating.

Reactions: 1 user

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
Concur, but I think OP mentioned well over 220. I guess when he runs some test we will know more.

Reactions: 1 user

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor