86 Cutlass Salon

Status
Not open for further replies.

86CutlassUCF

Master Mechanic
Nov 14, 2008
Central FL
New memeber. Ive always been in to 70-72 cutlasses but i got tired of dealing with rust and how old those cars are getting so i bought a pretty mint 1986 cutlass salon. I dont much about these cars so any information and history about my car would be helpful and I also have a few questions :D

1.Is it possible to remove the vinyl top? Id like to just be a straight hard top.

2.so far these are the rims im looking for but i rather not spend that kinda of price. is there any other place with a wide selection for rims for our car? Im looking to either buy 17" or 18" http://www.billetspecialties.com/item.asp?cid=16&scid=132&pid=721

3. Id like to start with the supsension, whats a list of parts I need for the rear and front suspension. Not really looking for performance but i would like to lower just the front and maybe some new stock springs in the back

The car is a 1986 cutlass salon with 94k miles. That for some reason turns off if I dont put in Nuetral at lights or sometimes when I put it in reverse. I took it to a mechanic and they said it was something like a throttle sensor.

Thanks and look forward to visiting this site A LOT!!!

STLRegal

G-Body Guru
Jun 22, 2007
St.Louis
You can take the vinyl top off. Ive done it and many other people here have also done it. Not much to it really, as long as there isn rust underneath. Just rip it and all the trim off and grind down the studs. Youll need to get some window trim from a non viynl top car, and possibly the quarter windows, though they dont matter that much.

dudeface

Master Mechanic
Aug 18, 2008
calgary alberta canada
gbodyparts.com

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
For the stalling, I'd just try and adjust the idle speed screw. The car should run even with the TPS disconnected as these cars did not use a very sophisticated computer system.

88hurstolds

Royal Smart Person
Jun 24, 2008
You may have a problem with your lockup solinoid, I had that same problem with my 86 Salon but I didn't have it hooked up to the computer. I had a wild 350 under it and didn't have anything locking up the TCC solinoid which may have been stuck.

78mali350

Royal Smart Person
May 13, 2007
Pratt, KS
welcome to the site!

Mr. Brezz

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 1, 2008
Newark, De
Timing.

You probably have to adjust your timing and the Carbs Idle mixture screw. All you need is a timing light and a screwdriver. I agree that the Throttle Position Sensor has nothing to do with your problem. Its all in you air/fuel mixture!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor